Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can Anyone Read A Microsoft Windows Error Report

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 11 September 2007 - 09:56 AM

I have no idea how a, WMS error report can do me any good!

So, I would like to know is there anyone out there who can read this and maybe tell me what it is about ?

Thank you for your efforts in advance.

Jove

Posted Image

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sagacity83

Sagacity83

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2007 - 02:49 PM

This is just showing the files that are going to be sent to Microsoft for evaluation, because your PC shut down unexpectedly. Does this happen on your computer often? If not don't worry about it.
Gateway GM5076e, Pentium D CPU 3.20GHZ, 2.1GB of RAM, 465GB SATA HDD, NVIDIA GeForce 6200 TurboCache™
256MB, Windows XP Media Center SP2, Mozilla Firefox, McAfee Security Center, AdAwareSE, F-Secure Blacklight, A-squared Free.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 11 September 2007 - 03:57 PM

Here's a link to a description of the error - http://aumha.org/a/stop.php#0xbe
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2007 - 04:00 PM

Disable error reporting but have it notify you of an error, then you can copy/paste it here
Mark
http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_...Error-Reporting
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2007 - 04:05 PM

No, the computer did not shut down, it was turned off last night , it has not been on line since I did a full restore from disc, there does not seem to be any major problems, I just wanted to know more about what the report meant to MS.

But is someone saying there is a way to get this information ? Mark Thanks, I'll look that up, and thank you all.

Jove

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#6 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 11 September 2007 - 04:35 PM

I have no idea how a, WMS error report can do me any good!

So, I would like to know is there anyone out there who can read this and maybe tell me what it is about ?

Thank you for your efforts in advance.

Jove

Posted Image

Hi John great site but I would be very interested to know what part of the error code did you look at to determin the problem? It looks like the first error code, is that correct and if so what about the other 4 codes? Sorry for my ignorance with this but these forums are so benfical to everyone.
Thanks again!

Edited by Monty007, 11 September 2007 - 04:35 PM.

MCP
MSDST

#7 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2007 - 04:44 PM

Also John,
I do not see 0X0000000B on the report there are references (links to another page)
for 0X- but not for 0000000B, are they one and the same ?

Jove

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#8 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2007 - 05:58 PM

BTW, if anyone is familiar with the Compaq Presario 5000, which is the one that has generated the MS-error report here in question, I am also wondering about the button where you turn on the computer is ha been flashing a green then red little light, is this indicating a problem ?

Jove

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2007 - 06:22 AM

See the little box that says BCCode? That stands for Bug Check Code. Bug Checks are (for our purposes) essential the same as a STOP Error/system crash/kernel error. In this case, the system stripped the extra stuff off of the beginning because they are the only significant bits of info (that's why STOP errors are abbreviated as STOP 0xbe rather than writing out STOP 0x000000be) The stuff that follows the BCCode are the parameters and sometimes they're significant also (as is any file name associate with the error).

I haven't looked at the sysdata.xml file in quite a while, but I recall that it just contains info that Microsoft uses to work with the dump file. You can open the .dmp file by following the instructions here: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35246

Interpreting the output is a bit difficult (I can read parts of the dump log, but other parts just mystify me) - but there's a lot of valuable info there for the experienced user. IMO they are most valuable for crashes where no filename is displayed in the BSOD - but quite often it's a wild goose chase because the file ends up being a Windows system file rather than a driver or malware file.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2007 - 07:44 AM

BTW, if anyone is familiar with the Compaq Presario 5000, which is the one that has generated the MS-error report here in question, I am also wondering about the button where you turn on the computer is ha been flashing a green then red little light, is this indicating a problem ?

Jove

That doesn't sound good. Do the fans and everything continue to spin/operate?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2007 - 08:50 AM

I'm thinking it's one of 3 things:
1) Overheating/hardware failure
2) Recent system changes that may have caused this
3) Malware

Reason for edit: Brain Cramp :thumbsup:

Edited by usasma, 12 September 2007 - 08:52 AM.

#12 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2007 - 10:42 AM

Thanks John for the introduction to the, "binary code- part III, of school of Silicon Valley, no kidding aside, . I will try to understand and glean a little knowledge from your generous effort, as I read your words they are played back to me inthe voice of Ray Charles . . whoa ! mean while,

the little ?red light", it seems that it is on when the computer is sleeping or in a standby mode,
and at this point seems to go off when you wake it up and the screen comes on, after that I don't see it, sorry I maydid not mean to start an alert unnecessarily !

Should I remain cautious ? This is a CP 5000 and it is possible thats what the button light does, I thought that you would no that this is an older computer but it is new to me, I don't know a thing about it except I got it up and running !

Thanks,
Jove

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#13 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 12 September 2007 - 05:17 PM

See the little box that says BCCode? That stands for Bug Check Code. Bug Checks are (for our purposes) essential the same as a STOP Error/system crash/kernel error. In this case, the system stripped the extra stuff off of the beginning because they are the only significant bits of info (that's why STOP errors are abbreviated as STOP 0xbe rather than writing out STOP 0x000000be) The stuff that follows the BCCode are the parameters and sometimes they're significant also (as is any file name associate with the error).

I haven't looked at the sysdata.xml file in quite a while, but I recall that it just contains info that Microsoft uses to work with the dump file. You can open the .dmp file by following the instructions here: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35246

Interpreting the output is a bit difficult (I can read parts of the dump log, but other parts just mystify me) - but there's a lot of valuable info there for the experienced user. IMO they are most valuable for crashes where no filename is displayed in the BSOD - but quite often it's a wild goose chase because the file ends up being a Windows system file rather than a driver or malware file.

Once explained it all comes togeather....thanks John!
MCP
MSDST

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2007 - 06:56 AM

Unfortunately, a crash dump may point to a file that crashed - and when you fix it, it'll still crash. That's because Windows tells you where the crash occurred - which isn't necessarily the same thing as what caused the crash (sorta like if your car stops running - that's the crash, but it could be many different things that caused it to stop running).

So, Windows system files listed in a crash are usually presumed to be good until any other possibilities have been ruled out. The reasoning for this is that if the Windows system files were corrupt, then you'd be having a lot of other problems (not to mention that the System File Protection feature would have to also be broken).

As for the flashing light - it's my first impulse to help and "fix it". But this may be a case of "If it ain't broke, don't try and fix it!". If it's not giving you any problems, then don't worry about it. If it goes away when you press the space bar - then it's likely that it's the sleep feature. I, personally, don't have any use for the Sleep feature and turn it off/disable it/don't use it on my systems. I guess that I'm old-fashioned (Off is off and On is on - and there's nothing in-between except for the flip of a switch) :thumbsup:

#15 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2007 - 09:51 AM

Gentlemen,
You have me at a time of the day,(morning when the second cup of cofee hasn't quite kicked in an I got women on my mind), I think maybe I should read this latter, but, . .

I thank you for your serious endeavor here, I will read this over and in time glean some more informations from it.

I am thankful for the BC forum and there record keeping system, i.e. My topics, since as we go on, it can be made so useful just reading it over on occasion, most of what you have said is difficult to relate to in my mind since, I do not have a reference background for the language of these high tech file ID titles, but I find it interesting if I can reference a small bit that allows me to have an insight to this.

Again, I thank you and when I do make some use of this I will post it, back, as I am sure BC readers will profit and enjoy the continuity.

Jove

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users