Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cut And Paste Failed - Files Lost

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lwlb

lwlb

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 11 September 2007 - 05:07 AM

Hi, this is my first post, so hello to everyone.
I was trying to move some files from a memory stick onto a CD, so I selected them on the USB drive in Explore and cut (yes I know I should have copied instead). Then pressed paste on the CD drive. Part way through pasting a message said Cannot move "folder name" (I think because one of the files was open), and the only option was OK. The pasting stopped and I discovered that none of the files I had cut were on either the destination or the original drive, only a couple of empty folders. I have searched the whole hard drive as well as the USB and CD drives to no avail. Is there any way I can get these files back?
I am using Windows XP SP2

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2007 - 05:56 AM

Hello and welcome lwlb :thumbsup:

Sorry to hear about your problem, hopefully we'll try and sort if out for you.

First of all a word of advice. When copying from any device such as USB drives, CD/DVD's etc its adviseable to copy to a folder on your computer's desktop, that way items are more secure and don't get lost.

Secondly if your computer is still on (at the time of you posting your message) then the files that you cut will be held in the computer's memory, ready to be pasted to a new location.

If the destination to which you want to paste to is unavaialble, the documents should remain where there originally located.

Hope this helps!
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

#3 lwlb

lwlb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2007 - 08:25 AM

If the destination to which you want to paste to is unavaialble, the documents should remain where there originally located.

Thanks FireKracker. Unfortunately my files are not on the original drive, which was the USB stick. Nor are they on the CD drive ready to be written to CD. They have disappeared down a black hole. However I am sure they are on the machine somewhere if only I knew where to look. Do I need a file recovery program? And would that work as the files were on a memory stick not on the hard drive?

#4 Misterdog

Misterdog

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 11 September 2007 - 09:38 AM

Secondly if your computer is still on (at the time of you posting your message) then the files that you cut will be held in the computer's memory, ready to be pasted to a new location.

If you haven't used your computer's clipboard (cut and paste) function for anything else, and if you haven't turned your computer off, the info should still be on the clipboard. Try pasting to a folder on your hard drive and see if the files show up.

#5 lwlb

lwlb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2007 - 11:57 AM

If you haven't used your computer's clipboard (cut and paste) function for anything else, and if you haven't turned your computer off, the info should still be on the clipboard. Try pasting to a folder on your hard drive and see if the files show up.

I tried that straight away but there was no Paste function on the right-click menu. (I don't think I tried ctl-V but it's too late now).

#6 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2007 - 02:56 PM

You could try some sort of file recovery program, most work on any device connected or associated with a computer e.g CD/DVD, memory sticks and cards.
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users