Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird Kind Of Slow Pc

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 helle me

helle me

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 11 September 2007 - 04:55 AM

Hello Helpers!!!
Running winxp-
First off i downloaded video ax object a few days ago and i then read up about it and realized it was a virus. From everything i read, it should show up in add/remove programs and in programfiles folder. It showed up in neither, the only thing i found was a folder named video ax access or something like that in programfiles folder but the folder was empty and no hidden files in it so i deleted it. When I downloaded setup.exe of the video ax object and double-clicked on it and agreed. Then it quickly installed without specifying where to save it?? Computer was totally fine for about 2-3 days no problems.

Second Problem which i think is the main problem (or only problem) the other day i was encoding the audio of an avi file in virtualdub and was downloading in limewire when the power in the house suddenly turned off and back on with-in like 2 seconds which restarted the computer immediatly. When it restarted it asked to start in safe mode or normal, so i started in safe mode and deleted the audio i was working on in case. then i rebooted and since then some things i do on the computer take about 5-10 times longer, while others are as fast as before?? It used to take 2-3 minutes to encode in virtualdub now 15-20 minutes. Also the mouse cursor about 75-80% of the time kinda skips and jerks across the screen when i move the mouse?? The internet for the most part is as fast as before but when i encode or scan or something like that it takes forever and the mouse is constantly skipping around the screen all the time? Also when i burn a vcd at 24x which i've NEVER had a problem before i get buffer underuns (I have buffer underun protection) So basically since the power restarted the computer, it's been acting slow/weird yet some things are the same and fine. Before this everything was fine?? Takes alittle longer to start windows also.

I have scanned the computer with AVG virus and AVG spyware. Also Escan and blacklight rootkit. Escan found like 10 spyware programs but i still have problem. I have ran disk defragement, diskcleanup and checkdisk. I have taken out the cmos battery and put it back in. I checked the startup applications and found 1 sometimes 2 blank apps, but don't know what they are and how to delete them. I don't know what else to do and i'm gonna be losing my internet soon so if someone could reply asap i would HIGHLY APPRECIATE IT!! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 helle me

helle me
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2007 - 07:14 AM

I Forgot to mention every once in awhile there is a click sound i can hear coming from inside the tower (rarely, but only when i am doing something)Also the working light on the front of the tower is basically always lit up, unless i don't do anything for a couple minutes?? Any problem i have mentioned have all happened right after the quick power outage and the pc restarted on its own.

I Have An Escan Log if it helps??

~Thanx~ please please please help!

Edited by helle me, 11 September 2007 - 07:57 AM.

#3 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 11 September 2007 - 07:26 PM

Hi helle me. It's no wonder at all why your programs aren't running as fast as they should.

First: What did you do about getting rid of the virus ? How do you know it was a virus and not some other kind of malware ? What antivirus program are you running, and did it say that it had detected a virus ?

Next: Perhaps the effects of the virus were waiting for the system to be restarted. The power outage may have provided that opportunity for the first time.

Try to do a System Restore back to a date before the virus was detected. Keep in mind that many viruses damage System Restore to prevent just this kind of cure.

The infection may have damaged this XP installation beyond repair. Be prepared to either do a Restore or an Install depending on what method you have available.

#4 helle me

helle me
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2007 - 10:12 PM

I scan the computer with AVG virus and escan but they found no viruses. Escan did find some spyware. But i still have problem. I have shutdown the computer since i installed video ax object and oviously turned it back on (next day), but i don't know if i restarted it would it have the same affect?

My system restore has no checkpoints so i have only one from the other day after all of this happened, so it would be the same as now if i restored. i have never used system restore before but maybe it did delete previous checkpoints. I can't go to previous month, oviously cause there's nothin there.

I did run chkdsk /r but i have heard if you run chkdsk /r with the winxp cd it has greater affect. I didn't know if it was worth trying because last time i ran chkdsk it took over 5 hours to complete.

So You don't think anything could of happened due to the power outage?? Why can't virus scans find virus??

~Thanx 4 Help~

Edited by helle me, 11 September 2007 - 10:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users