Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question About Reformatting Xp

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Bowhunter777

Bowhunter777

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 11 September 2007 - 03:37 AM

Hi Guys
I'm new to the site but have come here quite a bit and read the forums and now that I need some help it seemed like one of the best places to go.
I've been having all kinds of problems with my system freezing and have gone through countless things to try and get it worked out. Now I'm at the point where it seems I need to do a reformatting. I was hoping someone could either give me some instructions on doing this or maybe point me to where I might be able to print up some instructions to follow. I know about backing up what I want to keep so it's after that I need help. Any help would be great, thanks allot guys.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 11 September 2007 - 04:30 AM

Hello Bowhunter777 and :thumbsup: to Bleeping Computer.url].

See the following website for guidance on reinstalling Windows.

Clean Install Windows XP
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Bowhunter777

Bowhunter777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2007 - 05:21 AM

Great Budapest, thanks allot.

#4 Bowhunter777

Bowhunter777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2007 - 11:18 PM

Maybe somebody could tell me about the DVD burner that came installed with my system. Do I have to do anything with that before doing a reformat, or do I just leave it alone since in was installed new when I got the computer. Its a BENQ.
These probably sound like stupid questions but I just haven't done this before so I'm trying to make sure of things like this before I start reformatting. Thanks Guys.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 11 September 2007 - 11:37 PM

If you are going to reinstall the operating system from a CD you will need to go into the BIOS and make your CD-ROM (it doesn't matter if it's a DVD-ROM, the BIOS will still say CD-ROM) the first device in the boot order. If you are going to do a new installation I would suggest going the extra step and wipe the hard drive with a utility like KillDisk, this will over write any thing that's on there, including any infections, this is a free download.

I'm just curious here, why are you going to reformat?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Bowhunter777

Bowhunter777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2007 - 03:14 AM

Hey dc3
The reason I'm doing the reformat is I've been having a problem with my system freezing up. I've tried everything under the sun to try and correct this another way but nothings helped. I've been told to run virus scans and spy ware scans like AVG spyware scan in safe mode, I've used Trend Micro's AV scan as well of course my own AV and spyware scans. It's not a hardware or tempature (heat) problem. Anyway so after talking to many people about this problem it seems it must be a virus that can't be found and removed so this the my last resort.

#7 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2007 - 06:10 PM

Hi Bowhunter777.

*** DON'T USE KILDISK UNTIL YOU KNOW EXACTLY HOW YOU ARE GOING TO REINSTALL XP ***

You could very well have a BIOS Restore program that accesses a hidden partition, in which case Killdisk will destroy this partition and its data and with it the ability to reinstall XP.

What make and model of PC do you have ?

What is your method of reinstalling XP - 1) BIOS using hidden partition, 2) Restore discs, 3) XP application to burn your own restore discs, 4) XP Installation discs (this is not a Restore disc) ?

Once I know this I can explain exactly how to put a clean copy of XP back on your machine.

Edited by WinCrazy, 12 September 2007 - 06:13 PM.

#8 Bowhunter777

Bowhunter777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2007 - 11:21 PM

Hey WinCrazy
It's an Intel Celeron CPU 2.40GHz 512MB of RAM
I have my XP Home SP2 installation disk from when I bought the system in 2005.
Thanks allot for taking the time WinCrazy.

Edited by Bowhunter777, 13 September 2007 - 12:20 AM.

#9 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 13 September 2007 - 05:45 PM

These probably sound like stupid questions but I just haven't done this before so I'm trying to make sure of things like this before I start reformatting.

Don't feel stupid. You are doing a smart thing, getting all of your ducks in a row before you reformat.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#10 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 14 September 2007 - 12:29 AM

do you have your software for dvd rom
otherwise you will need codec
for dvd to show images

Edited by mme, 14 September 2007 - 12:30 AM.

#11 Bowhunter777

Bowhunter777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2007 - 12:40 AM

do you have your software for dvd rom
otherwise you will need codec
for dvd to show images

Hey mme, do you mean the install disk for the DVD?.
If so no I don't have that. The Benq DVD did come already
installed when I bought the system and I have all the disks
for all the stuff installed plus a restore disk and the WinXP
installation disk but like I said I don't have an install disk for the DVD.
If you can, can you tell me how I go about doing what said in your post?.
Thanks for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users