Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Doesn't Get Past Post

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 CaroleAnne

CaroleAnne

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 11 September 2007 - 02:18 AM

I have an Dell Optiplex GX260 that isn't going past POST. It ends with "press F1 to continue, F2 to enter SETUP" (or something similar) Pressing F1 does not good, it just repeats the phrase. Entering SETUP shows that the HD and CD is unknown. The date is correct so the battery is probably okay. The HD is probably wiped, but I can't be sure at this point. (The other HDs on the Optiplex computers we received were all wiped.) With the CD listed as unknown, even if I got the computer to move forward, I would be unable to install XP. I tried changing the HD but it made no difference. I also checked to see that all cables were connected. The RAM was seated correctly and worked in another computer.

I won't be back at PCs4People until Thursday, but any ideas you have for me I will try to implement then.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 11 September 2007 - 06:21 AM

Welcome to BC CaroleAnne :thumbsup:

Sorry to hear about your problem, you have come to the right place - I'm sure we can shed some light on your problem!

Just some things to consider:
- How long has this problem occured?
- Any strange messages prior to the comptuer failing the POST?
- Did anything strange happen prior to the problem?
- What operating system are you using?
- Does the computer make any beeping noises?

Am I right in thinking that your computer has a set of four lights on the back panel labeled A, B, C & D?

Hope this helps so far!!

Edited by FireKracker, 11 September 2007 - 06:21 AM.

If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users