Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Shuts Down When Gaming

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Cloud_0894

Cloud_0894

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 10 September 2007 - 07:52 PM

I have a custom built computer, in it, it has a AMD FX-60 dual core CPU. I also have 2 GB of corsair RAM, 2 Nvidia 7900 GTO graphics cards, a 600 watt power supply, and a Asus A8N-SLI-Premium motherboard. And etc. My system temp usually never exceeds 50c. Average is around 42c.

So the problem here is, recently i was trying to overclock my CPU, and i failed miserably, forcing me to clear the RTC/BIOS.
Ever since then, whenever i play games such as Oblivion, Dawn of War, Company of Heroes, etc, my computer always shuts down. Basically any game that uses a lot of processing power. These games worked before i tried overclocking.

Advice on how to fix? Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 i have no name

i have no name

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 10 September 2007 - 08:30 PM

If possible try checking your temperatures while you are using those programs just to make sure, it could be a overheating issue as those graphics cards can get hot. Also does it blue screen a lot when it shuts down? It could be faulty ram.

Welcome to forums.

Edited by i have no name, 10 September 2007 - 08:31 PM.

My system specs
Small chip that goes fast some spinning things a case, a mouse, and a keyboard and a wonderful rectanlge box of colors.

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 10 September 2007 - 09:07 PM

http://www.thecoolest.zerobrains.com/CoreTemp/

watch out for any temp approaching 60-65 for either core

Edited by DaChew, 10 September 2007 - 09:09 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 Cloud_0894

Cloud_0894
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2007 - 01:47 AM

My computer just does a complete shut down. And my temperature for each core is around 42 on normal, and during gameplay around 47ish.
One of my friends mentioned that my northbridge on the motherboard could have been damaged when i tried to overclock.
I was afraid my motherboard might have been damaged as well. so yeah, thats some more insight if it might help you figure out whats wrong.
Thanks again

#5 Azshmo

Azshmo

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 11 September 2007 - 02:41 AM

where did you get the computer?

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2007 - 09:00 AM

it's possible when you cleared cmos that your bios is not set correctly now??
Chewy

#7 Cloud_0894

Cloud_0894
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2007 - 10:41 PM

Well, i'm not too sure about if the BIOS is set correctly. It seems to be fine to me, but maybe i missed something. Anyways i was wondering, if i were to swap out motherboards, would that affect my hard drive at all? I have a 750 gb hd and it contains a lot of data which i don't want to get corrupted. I probably will back up most of my major files, but just wondering if i could just, swap motherboards and not have to reinstall and OS and all that.

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2007 - 04:51 AM

you data should be safe if the hard drive is OK, the OS may get corrupt, I would check out my ram timings, many times it doesn't run right unless you have the cas setting specified correctly, command rate set to 2, the overclock would be just as likely to get the ram as the cpu, usually not the motherboard tho
Chewy

#9 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 13 September 2007 - 05:19 AM

I'm assuming your OS is Windows XP. If you change the motherboard it is likely that you will have to do a repair install of the OS.

Changing a Motherboard or Moving a Hard Drive with XP Installed
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users