Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Giving Me Fits!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 clineedesigns

clineedesigns

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 10 September 2007 - 02:01 PM

I have been reading your forums for sometime and have been able to fix minor problems with your help, so I hope you guys can help me now.

I have a Gateway laptop 3018gz that I purchase three years ago. My extended warranty gave out in August and soon after I started having problems. The latest one is a doozy.

On 9/8, it was working fine. No new installs, except an update to Yahoo Messenger. I turned it off that night before going to bed.

On 9/9, went to turn it on, it gave me a BSOD,and instantly restarted. I was able to stop the restart, but never got the BSOD again. I restarted it and it froze and the screen scrambled. Has been doing this ever since. Sometimes the display won't even come up. I can hear the computer going (I hear the fan and the HD) and I hooked it up to another monitor to see if the screen was going, but it didn't work either. I was able to do a recovery on it, but just as it finished the screen froze again and scrambled.

I initially thought this was some sort of virus or trojan horse, but now I am not so sure.

Please help!!!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 10 September 2007 - 08:23 PM

Can you give us any info from the BSODs? Are you able to start in safe mode to look at the event viewer?

If you can start in safe mode, you may wish to uninstall Yahoo Messenger for the moment. Look at the add - remove programs area and see if you notice anything out of the ordinary.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 clineedesigns

clineedesigns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 11 September 2007 - 07:22 AM

I wish I could give any info on the BSOD, but it happened so fast I just saw a blue screen then it immediately restarted. I never saw it again.

I can't start in any mode. The screen is black.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users