Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SP2

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 redd2

redd2

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 06 February 2005 - 09:50 PM

Okay folks I'm back and I bet I'm driving you crazy by now. Here's what I need to know. After my last "crash" I had do to another re-install, this one was actually the 1st real re-instal, the first time around the rep led me astray and did a half a**ed job. I now have my Spybot S&D back, have latest Ad-aware and Norton. Windows up dates is telling me I should download SP2. I already have a firewall and virus protection, do I really need SP2, is there something else in it that I need or can I just pass it up?

By the way, I have my system restore set to disabled, it seems the nasty Beagle (spelling?) was hiding in my restore, when I used it to try to fix things last time I set the damm thing loose, hence the "Big Freeze Up" and the real re-install. Should I take the chance and put it back to restore? I know it can be helpful if it's needed it.

Things are running smoothly now. I am not going to worry about it too much tonight as I am getting ready to shut down for the evening.

Thanks all. will check in tomorrow evening.
Redd2

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 06 February 2005 - 10:12 PM

Yes I would install SP2. There are certain vulnerabilities that are patched in SP2 that are not in Sp1. Also i would turn system restore back on as when you stop it it delete all your restore points so you will be starting from scratch and not have to worry about the files being there anymore

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 06 February 2005 - 10:26 PM

Now that your computer seems perfectly happy, it's a good time to set system restore on and set a restore point. SP2 has many critical security patches and settings that will help protect your computer from future problems.
Many viruses will hide themselves in system restore, where they feel relatively safe, but should this happen, it is a simple procedure to turn off SR, get rid of it, and turn it back on; in the meantime, you have a fail-safe point if something happens.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 redd2

redd2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 07 February 2005 - 08:42 AM

Will install SP2 and trun System Restore back on.

Much thanks to both of you for your swift replies.

redd2
Redd2

#5 georgia

georgia

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 07 February 2005 - 12:50 PM

Interestsing comments about sp2 and restore.

I had used system restore and had so many problems with it in respect of critters hiding in crevices and coming back to haunt me later after I did a restore that my sibling who is a certified techie advised me to turn it off.

Even though I use a good firewall, adaware se, spybot, spyware blaster, trojan hunter, a2, spywaresweeper and a good A/v the system restore function was simply unreliable.

And there were no critters hiding and playing games inside the box.

Thus I purchased the "Ghost" program from Symantec and ghost my computer every once and awhile in case I ever need to get back to a stable point.

But frankly in that year I have never had to use the products of my ghosting and not had any other "hiding critters" invading my computer.

I also run perfect disk instead of Diskkeeper Pro 9 which I go rid of. It was not the Lite version, it simply did not keep the box unfragmented long enough.
Now that I use Perfect Disk 7, I find my computer hums along. ( I also tired O & O defrag but for my own needs the Perfect Disk 7 responded faster and the hard drive stayed defragged longer.)

Just adding comments of my experiences.

:thumbsup:
Talent is a flame. Genius is a fire.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users