Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HELP!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 trevorveasey

trevorveasey

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 06 February 2005 - 08:35 PM

HELLO MY NAME IS TREVOR,
I NEED HELP TO SEE IF I CAN INSTALL MORE THAN ONE SPYWARE ON MY COMPUTER. I DON'T HAVE HIJACKTHIS ON MY COMPUTER AND WHEN READING THROUGH THIS WEB SITE, THAT ALL I SEE. I HAVE AD-AWARE, BUT I WAS WONDERING IF I SHOULD HAVE MORE THAN ONE APYWARE PROGRAM ON MY COMPUTER? YOUR HELP IS APPRICIATED. THANKS!
Trevor

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2005 - 08:54 PM

:thumbsup: trevorveasey

Good question. It is always a good practice to have more than one. As a general rule what one does not catch the other may.

If you will take the time to visit this link. You can learn all that you need to know.

Simple steps to keep your computer secure!

And here is one that is not mentioned that I highly recommend. It goes after trojans, worms, dialers and spyware. :flowers:

aČ Free
Posted Image

#3 trevorveasey

trevorveasey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2005 - 09:36 PM

Thanks, I was scared to add another program, because someone told me that I couldn't put two together because they would intermingle.
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!
Trevor

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2005 - 10:32 PM

You cannot run two firewalls simultaneously, but you can have more than one anti-spyware program on your computer. Remember that definitions of what consitututes spyware are rather vague, so one application will look for some another might not.
Ad-AwareSE and Spybot Search and Destroy seem to work very well together. Both are free and provide frequent updates, something very important in the fast-moving world of spyware.
HiJackThis! should only be used with extreme caution unless you are extremely knowledgeable and detail-oriented; that is why we recommend people post the log here for review, rather than use it without help.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 gonzoid

gonzoid

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2005 - 10:45 PM

I recently downloaded and installed Spy Sweeper. It picks up stuff that Spyware Blaster and Ad Aware miss. Unfortunately, Spy Sweeper runs about $30 but, personally, I don't mind it if it protects me from all that crud.

#6 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2005 - 10:51 PM

I have and use on a regular basis:

Ad-Aware SE Personal
Spybot S&D,
SpywareBlaster 3.2
aČ Free

All fantastic! And they each serve a purpose. And there are free versions available. Which are the ones I have BTW.

If you would just check out the link I provided in my above post, regarding "Simple Steps to Keep Your Computer Secure" You will find detailed info. concerning this subject. :thumbsup: Which should put your mind at ease. It is written by Grinler. Bleeping Computer's Owner and Administrator. Take my word, the man knows his stuff. :flowers:

Edited by scarlett, 06 February 2005 - 11:00 PM.

Posted Image

#7 trevorveasey

trevorveasey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2005 - 12:36 AM

Thanks for all your help! Can you recommend a good firewall program? Thanks!!!
Trevor

#8 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2005 - 01:27 AM

I use and recommend Sygate Personal Firewall. It is free, rather easy to use, and has a backtrace and 'who is' function.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#9 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2005 - 07:23 AM

Besides only having one Firewall. Just wanted to add that one also should also not have two Anti-Virus Programs. Running more than one AV can cause system slowdowns and create system instability . They work against each other. It is best to use one alone.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users