Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Some Help..

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 fivelitre

fivelitre

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 09 September 2007 - 11:21 PM

My computer has a 300 gig hard drive and right now i only have 130 gigs of free space.. yet I am unsure as to where all this other space is devoted to since i only have 2 games on my computer and not much music or anything else that would take up that much space.

Secondly whenever i open my control panel it freezes and gives me the "windows explorer has stop working and has to shut down"

So I figured I have a virus somewhere.. I have norton 360 and nothing shows up when i run scans. I tried to run my computer in safe mode and then run 360 in safe mode to see if i could find a virus, but 360 says it doesn't work in safe mode.

So does anyone know a way i can find out if i do infact have a virus and how i can find it and get rid of it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ^MavericK!

^MavericK!

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 10 September 2007 - 01:22 AM

Hi fivelitre;

I will suggest a software that was sugested to me in this forums.

SequoiaView

This will let you see exactly what files are filling up your Hd.

To see if indeed this is an infection I will suggest online scans, some are very good. But if you your problem is really viruses, I will strongly suggest HJTForumHelp.

I tried to run my computer in safe mode and then run 360 in safe mode to see if i could find a virus, but 360 says it doesn't work in safe mode.

To make you Anti Virus work in safe mode just run your PC in safe mode and open "Computer", right click on disk "C" and choose "scan with...". Works most of the times.

Hope it helps...

Mav

Edited by ^MavericK!, 10 September 2007 - 01:37 AM.

#3 fivelitre

fivelitre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 10 September 2007 - 07:26 PM

Okie dokie

So I followed you're steps and did everything that it said in the other forum... and it still doesn't work.

I went into safe mode and right clicked on my C drive and looked for a "Scan with" or something along those lines but I couldn't find anything.

Something interesting that I found out was that, while in safe mode i checked to see if i could open up my control panel (since that is the problem right now) and whenever i opened my control panel in safe mode.. it would shut down and windows explorer would restart.

Which makes me think that whatever it is I have in my computer, may have found it's way into a core file/driver?

I really don't want to have to reformat but if that is my only choice....help? lol

#4 ^MavericK!

^MavericK!

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 10 September 2007 - 09:53 PM

Go to this. forums and post your HijackThis! for some Expert help, or go here, for help in this matter...

I'm sure they can help you and fix your issue, again if your issue is a virus or an infection.

Mav

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users