Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unexplained Clicking Behavior In Windows

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 skylar

skylar

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 09 September 2007 - 07:18 PM

This has been bothering me for a couple weeks now and I finally decided I would try and look for help..

My start menu will close as soon as I open it (as if I clicked twice) - I can get it to stay after several attempts (quick clicking seems to work sometimes)

In any [windowed] file/folder view if I click on the window at all it takes me back to the previous page, if I click on the window tab (to minimize the window) it does the same (tho I can alt+tab out of the window or just give up on it and let it go back to the previous window) - It's in my ITunes as well.. strangely it seems to be the only other program I can think of that it's effecting as well. When I click on ITunes it is as if I told it to go back (or play the previous song) VERY IRRITATING haha

Running Windows XP Home Edition
I can't think of any other piece of software/hardware that might be helpful, let me know if you guys need any other info.
Also I've run several avg-anti virus scans (and it's found a couple changes to some system files.. which worries me but I don't know what to do about them)

I'm thinking the problem lies with explorer.exe

A problem I had in the past but went away each time after a couple days - (lasting after reboots)

My navigation bar at the bottom of my screen would freeze completely.. as well as a lot of windowed objects (and the task manager too sometimes :flowers: I really really hate hard reboots)

So at this time I'm going to look into replacing explorer.exe with a new copy perhaps... and hopefully it hasn't been patched in the past :\
It seems like the best idea I can think of and I will reply with the result.

I would appreciate any help or ideas you guys can give me. Really, this thing is making me go insane :thumbsup:

Edited by skylar, 09 September 2007 - 07:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jos789

jos789

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 09 September 2007 - 08:28 PM

Did you already scan for spyware as well?

#3 skylar

skylar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2007 - 08:48 PM

Doing an Ad-Aware system scan right now, haven't done one of these in a long time but I use firefox so I never really notice any spy related issues and I didn't believe this problem would have do with with spyware.. but i'll check anyways :thumbsup:

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,031 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 09 September 2007 - 10:11 PM

The most effective way to run your scans is in the safe mode, your applications will not be active and hopefully neither will be what ever you are looking for.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 skylar

skylar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2007 - 10:40 PM

Nope, i even found something really critical.. but it didn't fix it.. anyone know how I can replace explorer.exe safely?

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 10 September 2007 - 01:44 AM

If you have your XP CD you can try running the System File Checker (SFC).

How to Use SFC.EXE to Repair System Files
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 skylar

skylar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2007 - 04:31 AM

Nope :thumbsup: the xp cd didn't come with my laptop

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 10 September 2007 - 04:46 AM

I'm thinking it is unlikely that it is the explorer.exe file that is the problem, but some malware could be using explorer to do it's dirty work. Do a search on your hard drive for any explorer.exe files. The "legimate" one should be in C:\Windows. If you find one in C:\Windows\System32 then you probably have a Trojan.

If you want to try replacing the "legimate" explorer file then you could try coping it from a friend who has Windows XP Home.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users