Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Moving Files Using Cds

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jo-Ro

Jo-Ro

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 09 September 2007 - 01:33 PM

The modem in the computer I use most isn't working (it makes the phone line short out or something), and until it gets fixed, I can't get online with it. So I got a new game, and wanted to put mods on it. I was able to transfer a small .zip (about 360k) with a disk, but the one I want now is an over 3MB .exe, making it too big for discs. The first thing I tried was to save the file to the CD: this didn't work because the computer won't give me permission to save to that drive (which is odd, this is an administrator account and should be able to do anything). Secondly, I saved it somewhere else and tried to manually move it to the CD: this didn't work because the CDs are read-only, and changing the file to read-only doesn't fool the computer. I don't know when I'll have access on that computer again, so I would appreciate some help with this.

EDIT: oh, and I'm not putting it on this one because it's a shared computer, and I don't want to clutter it too much.

Edited by Jo-Ro, 09 September 2007 - 01:37 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2007 - 02:38 PM

Hi Jo-Ro. A 3 MB file is tiny for any blank CD which can hold up to 700 MB of files.

Once you burn a blank CD you are only allowed to burn another set of files to that CD again if during the first burning you specifically chode not to "close" the CD to any further burns. Otherwise, nothing more may be burned to that CD no matter how much room is left on it. If a burned CD is left "open" the further "sessions" may be burned afterwards, but all the previous sessions become inaccessible.

Have you tried to copy the files using a USB flash/thumb/pen drive ? Using one of these is a lot simpler. A 1 GB USB flash drive sells for about $20 US. 2GB models sell less than double. These are all highly rated models:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820233008
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820141076
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820208091

Edited by WinCrazy, 09 September 2007 - 02:39 PM.

#3 Jo-Ro

Jo-Ro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2007 - 03:08 PM

I'm wanting something that won't cost anything. We already have burning software (Nero 6), so how do i use that to transfer the file onto the CD?

EDIT: I figured it out myself. Thanks for giving me the idea to burn it!

Edited by Jo-Ro, 09 September 2007 - 03:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users