Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cd Burner Not Recognized: Please Help

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 LoveMetal5233

LoveMetal5233

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 09 September 2007 - 01:30 PM

I used to be able to burn CD's fine, but one day, I tried burning a CD using iTunes, and it said "Disc burner or software not found." I tried using Yahoo! Music Jukebox, and it gave me pretty much the same message - that it couldn't recognize a CD burner on the computer.

I'm not sure how it could have suddenly just stopped working, but I have some ideas:

1) I have a Compaq computer, & Windows XP. My computer is very old. I've had it for 3 years. It could be that the burner just...gave out. In that case, how would I go about fixing and replacing it? And approximately how much would it cost?

2) Now this may sound stupid, but I think I may have somehow damaged the burner. We have a rocking chair for a computer chair, and one day as I sat down, it hit the eject button and opened the drive. Then the opened drive got caught under the corner of the chair, and I didn't notice, and I scooted in, and I heard a crack of some sort. The drive opens and closes perfectly, but well, I think it may have caused internal damage. Is this possible?

I haven't tried to see if it reads CD's or not. All I know is it doesn't burn them.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 09 September 2007 - 03:34 PM

Your suspicion may be correct that you damaged the drive when you hit it with the rocking chair. Does windows recognise it as a CD-buner? In my computer does it say CD/RW or DVD/RW? Try reading cd's and or DVD's (if its a DVD capable drive). If all is lost and the drive is bad there inexpensive to replace You can get one for less then 30 bucks at NewEgg.com depending on the model and features.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users