Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

xp pro start up error..."/msi.dll"

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sambo80

sambo80

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 07 July 2004 - 07:25 AM

Hey every1

I need some help....out of nowhere, when i boot up my comp, when xp pro loads up, loads of black pop ups(like command prompt windows) come out of nowhere!!!

the various headers indicate errors with ccApp.exe, creative fodler errors, others where there are just numbers and letters on the headers!!....absolutely no idea what is going on...

When I turn of the windows, the ccapp.exe windows keeps coming back...so then i turn off the ccapp.exe process, and then that window is gone...

I have nortons firewall installed....so I try to uninstall it..but nope...it states the following error...

C:/........system/msi.dll is not a valid windows image!!!!!!!!

what does this mean, because now i can't unsitall nortons or mcafee virus scan, because of this error... when i go to control panel, and select add/remove programs....the windpw appears, but no programs....its blank....i can't remove anything, and cannot install registry fixers, because of that error....

In the meantime..I have used the symantec removal tool to remove norton firewall...but the errors keep coming (less errors though...no ccapp.exe)..but the /system/msi.dll is there, amongst a few others at startup.

do I have to reinstall this dll file,...or will I have to reinstall windows, because my programs don't work either, games don't run, pc bug doc doesn't work, and when i use messenger, i get the that msi error again.
Any ideas????????? please help..........thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 07 July 2004 - 12:18 PM

What version of windows are you running?

#3 sambo80

sambo80
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2004 - 12:55 PM

I'm running xp professional with service pack 1...I've made backups of all my work, and am tempted to reinstall windows...but would prefer not to...I would like to know how to sort this out, as to prevent it again the future...

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,590 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2004 - 01:13 PM

You may have a corrupt msi.dll. Go into c:\windows\system32 and rename msi.dll to msi.bak.

Then download this file:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/files/winfiles/msi-dll.zip and extract the file inside to c:\windows\system32 .

Lets see if that fixes the problem

#5 sambo80

sambo80
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2004 - 07:36 PM

Hey Grinler...thanx for the reply....I performed a SFC /SCANNOW in the run prompt.

It did something, but no results were shown....I also added the msi.dll file that you told me to, and on reboot, I've not had that problem....

But, another error is still there:

16 Bit MSDOS Subsystem (Header of message)

C:\WINDOWS\System32\rmctrl.exe
The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
CS:06ea IP:0104 OP:ff 00 00 b8 Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

The above message is the only error left.....any ideas how to fix this? I've reinstalled the creative labs drivers, and haven't received those errors anymore, but have no idea of any other lasting problems that this has caused.....I presume the above error is the only one, so it would be great to get that sorted, before I start testing my applications....

thanks Saj

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,590 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2004 - 09:38 PM

I am not exactly sure what that file is. If you right click on the file and go into properties can you learn anything about what this file is?

#7 sambo80

sambo80
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2004 - 06:57 AM

Yeah I checked....it just states that its an application... I also went into event viewer and checked the application and system errors:

For the application tab: there were errors recorded for source 'Event System', category (50), and event '4609'....
Within properties for the above it states:

"The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal processing. HRESULT was 8007041F from line 44 of d:\nt_qxp\com\com1x\src\eventsystemobj.cpp. Please contact Microsoft to report this error."

These errors make up about 95% of the newer errors. There is one error for source 'VSS', no category and event 8193. The properties for this states:

"Volume Shadow Copy Service error. Unexpected error calling routine CoCreateInstance. hr = 0x80040206."

For the System tab: The last 5 errors are: source - DCOM, category - None, event - 10005. Properties states:

"DCOM got error "The service database is locked." attempting to start the service EventSystem with arguments""in order to run the server: {1BE1F766-5536-11D1-B726-00C04FB926AF}"

The errors before that are all source - Service Control Manager, category none, event - 7000. Properties:

"The avpg service failed to start due to the following error: The system cannot find the file specified."

Please note.....I have downloaded another msi.dll file and copied that into my system32 directory....so the msi error has gone....But I still get a 'rmctrl.exe' error on bootup. The full error states:

16 Bit MSDOS Subsystem (HEADER)

C:\WINDOWS\System32\rmctrl.exe
The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
CS:06ea IP:0104 OP:ff 00 00 b8 Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

Before this popup, another popup appears and disappears quickly.. I made out the header to be qttask....or something like that. I don't know if they are related.

thanks Saj

#8 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,590 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2004 - 07:19 AM

Zip up and email the file C:\WINDOWS\System32\rmctrl.exe to me so I can take a look at it .

You can email it to grinler@yahoo.com

#9 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,590 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2004 - 02:38 PM

This looks like it is from PowerDVD. Do you have that installed on your computer? If so you may want to reinstall it.

#10 sambo80

sambo80
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2004 - 05:08 PM

Yeah it was...I uninstalled it....for the qttask error, I just updated my quicktime over the net, and that one disappeared as well....

Hopefully fingers crossed, thats all of them.....any others thinking of appearing will now know, that bleeping computer is there to kick ass!!!!!

Thanks for all your help!

Saj

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users