Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking For A Good Registry Cleaner

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Reya

Reya

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 09 September 2007 - 12:30 PM

Does RegSeeker really cut it? That's the one I have now, and the one I've been using, but I'm wondering, what do you guys think? What do you use to keep your PCs up to speed? Mine's been steadily decreasing in efficiency and the problem can't be blamed on malware, so my next guess is that my registry cleaner is leaving something to be desired.

Whatever you guys suggest, I do need to keep it completely freeware for now (otherwise I'd be trying that Registry Booster thing from Uniblue), on accounta I'm broke, but I'd appreciate any ideas/advice you have :D

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 annabackwards

annabackwards

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 06 October 2007 - 06:24 AM

Hey Reya.

I use CCleaner and yes, it is absolutely free. You can get it here

I have never heard of RegSeeker. I have heard of RegClean though. It seems that it comes up with a lot of false positives and it isn't free from what i've read.
Posted Image

Surf smarter, surf faster, surf safer, surf with Mozilla Firefox

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 06 October 2007 - 09:03 AM

I avoid using any registry cleaners like the plague, since their potential for harming your operating system far outweighs any small potential for improving your computer's performance. Despite their claims, you can take other steps that are safer and more productive to keep your computer running well.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 06 October 2007 - 08:31 PM

I agree with Annbackwards, I am using CCleaner and it is a great freeware registry cleaner. Not only that, it also can optimize your system and do a few other things! (The link is at the bottom of this post in my signature!)

#5 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 06 October 2007 - 09:01 PM

Reya,

Please ignore the posts by others than jweed!

Registry editing is very sensitive and if one doesn't know the full gambit, you risk corrupting your OS...

//Aside: to Anna & David - Please review the BC a bit more before you again provide any advice here.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#6 saint satin stain

saint satin stain

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2007 - 03:44 PM

I use CCleaner to clean out junk files, but would not use the registry cleaner. I would not use EasyClean, though it is one of the best freeware cleaners. I use the commercial product, jv16 PowerTools 2007, and though I am fairly knowledgeable, before I run the registry cleaner I backup the registry with ERUNT: I even have ERUNT to automatically do backups when I log on. But when I clean junk files and clean the registry I do a backup before and put the shortcut to the backup on the desktop. Fooling with the registry, even if knowledgeable, is dangerous. If you are not knowledgeable, and experienced, you should not clean the registry. JV16 does a backup, but I always backup with ERUNT.

I have an old laptop with the same OS, XP Pro, on which I experiment and learn; I read and learn on forums like this one; I ask questions about the usual computer-keeping and problems before I have them. I know about the registry cleaning of CCleaner because I crashed the laptop's OS with it. I do know people who use CCleaner and EasyClean to clean their registry without problems, but I will not use them for that purpose.

Ask questions here. And learn. I will not absolutely say don't clean your registry. I will say learn about the registry. Learn which registry cleaners are safer, especially ones that automatically backup the registry.

Important Note: I clean my registry about six times a year.

Cleaning your registry does not speed up your computer.

The beginning of each year I do a clean install of my OS.

The only problem that I had was a hard drive failure because it was old, many years old, but I did not lose any data. I backup permanent files on dvds, and backup all to online storage and an external hard drive. I also recovered all my files from the bad hard drive using Recuva a freeware. I installed a new hard drive, slaved the old hard drive, recovered the files, and uninstalled the old drive. I wouldn't have lost anything anyway, but didn't know until I recovered with Recuva. One other note. Don't take your computer to the geek squad at Best Buy; instead find a small local computer repair shop. Ask cable installers, knowledgeable friends, and, if you know some, computers experts at corporations, especially ones that you know have good computer practices.

But especially frequent online forums, among which this is one of the best, but listen to the right people.

You really don't need to clean the registry, especially if you don't download and experiment with a lot of new programs, and if you do a clean install of the OS each new year. Before I do the clean install, I download any new versions of the programs I have and burn them to DVDs. I burn them to dvd 1, 2, and 3, with 1 the necessary first programs, the security programs. If you are like most folk, who don't experiment with a lot of new programs. you don't need to clean the registry ever. You just do a clean install each new year.

saint satin stain
Responsible for what I say,
not for what you understand.
www.leftinalabama.com

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2007 - 07:19 PM

Rather than reinvent the wheel here, this is a link to an excellent post by Bill Castner (Microsoft MVP) about Registry Cleaners. I'd consider it a "must read" if you're thinking about using a registry cleaner. http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?t=61015
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 saint satin stain

saint satin stain

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2007 - 07:57 AM

usasma,

Rather than reinvent the wheel here, this is a link to an excellent post by Bill Castner (Microsoft MVP) about Registry Cleaners. I'd consider it a "must read" if you're thinking about using a registry cleaner. http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?t=61015

I wish that I'd read it. Learning the hard way aint easy. And with a search like Exalead, Copernic, and X1 I don't believe that searches are seriously impacted. My grand niece tells me that since I do a fresh install each year that I don't need to clean the registry ever.

saint satin stain
www.leftinalabama.com

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2007 - 09:52 AM

With a fresh install every year I wouldn't worry about cleaning the registry either. But that depends a lot on your computing habits. Installing and removing a lot of software, or constantly changing/tweaking settings will cause more entries to be written to the registry (and may not remove all of them). Since I'm constantly messing with my OS - I'm probably more prone to this than most. And I just don't see any need to prune my registry.

Some registry entries are intended to remain when you uninstall a program. They let you regain your settings if you reinstall the program. Others will use this as a way to protect their copyright - preventing you from installing an app again.

Yes, registry corruption does occur - but it's far less often than most people figure it is. And the usual fix for registry corruption is to uninstall and reinstall the corrupted app - or if it's Windows, you'd do a repair install. If you're curious, you can use the last freeware version of Total Uninstall to monitor the installation and uninstallation of a program - and viewing the logs will show you what's left when you uninstall a program. Even Total Uninstall can't remove everything tho' - but it'll tell you what it couldn't remove, and then you can go in and try to manually remove it.

Here's an example: A customer installed Norton 360 on his system - and then nothing would work on the system. After a bunch of work we found that he'd installed it right after resetting his BIOS (so the date was wrong). Then he let Windows update his system time - and all Hades broke out!

An uninstall of Norton 360 didn't help, nor did using the Norton Uninstaller, nor did diving into the registry and deleting the Norton and Symantec keys. The software writers were smarter than that (but, not IMHO smarter than me :thumbsup: A couple of hours worth of labor spent plumbing the depths of the registry and we were able to get it to install for him.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 chapin33

chapin33

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 13 December 2007 - 11:30 AM

usasma,

Very good comments and great advice as always. I have learned quite a bit from you and others here. I did have one question though about the information you posed here...

I have not done a fresh install on OS before but had heard the same thing you said here. Because I have not done this and my computer experience is still evolving, how do you do a fresh install? Please advise.

J

With a fresh install every year I wouldn't worry about cleaning the registry either. But that depends a lot on your computing habits. Installing and removing a lot of software, or constantly changing/tweaking settings will cause more entries to be written to the registry (and may not remove all of them). Since I'm constantly messing with my OS - I'm probably more prone to this than most. And I just don't see any need to prune my registry.

Some registry entries are intended to remain when you uninstall a program. They let you regain your settings if you reinstall the program. Others will use this as a way to protect their copyright - preventing you from installing an app again.

Yes, registry corruption does occur - but it's far less often than most people figure it is. And the usual fix for registry corruption is to uninstall and reinstall the corrupted app - or if it's Windows, you'd do a repair install. If you're curious, you can use the last freeware version of Total Uninstall to monitor the installation and uninstallation of a program - and viewing the logs will show you what's left when you uninstall a program. Even Total Uninstall can't remove everything tho' - but it'll tell you what it couldn't remove, and then you can go in and try to manually remove it.

Here's an example: A customer installed Norton 360 on his system - and then nothing would work on the system. After a bunch of work we found that he'd installed it right after resetting his BIOS (so the date was wrong). Then he let Windows update his system time - and all Hades broke out!

An uninstall of Norton 360 didn't help, nor did using the Norton Uninstaller, nor did diving into the registry and deleting the Norton and Symantec keys. The software writers were smarter than that (but, not IMHO smarter than me :thumbsup: A couple of hours worth of labor spent plumbing the depths of the registry and we were able to get it to install for him.

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2007 - 06:51 PM

Here's a link about how to do it: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

#12 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2007 - 08:52 PM

http://www.angelfire.com/games4/tombraider.../regcleaner.zip

It works good.
Used it for years.
Check "Do them all"==

Posted Image

#13 saint satin stain

saint satin stain

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2008 - 03:44 PM

I have to specify. I still clean my registry about six times a year. I say about six, but it varies from 3 to 8 times a year. I use the Macecraft jv16 PowerTools 2007. I do not use the general registry cleaning; I use the Software Manager to clean specific registry entries and the directory of the program. I try to use programs with good installers and are written to prevent leaving residue. Forgive me for not specifying. I NEVER do general registry cleaning. The reason why I do the specific cleaning is experimentation with new programs. Less now because I research more and carefully new programs. I don't abstain from general cleaning of the registry just because it's dangerous; I do so because it is unnecessary and I am lazy. I won't do anything - unfortunately most daily chores are necessary - unless it is necessary.

General registry cleaning is unnecessary. It does not speed up your computer. General cleaning of your registry is dangerous. I clean specific registry entries. I used to do this manually, without a registry cleaner, but use of JV16 PowerTools 2007 makes this easier. I always backup the registry with ERUNT.

Backup, backup the registry before installing programs, before uninstalling a program, before downloading and installing updates of individual programs and updates from Windows Updates - these are manual backups with ERUNT. ERUNT also does automatic updates every time you start your system.

RegSupreme Pro has this same feature, removal of individual registry entries. RegSupreme, the baby of Macecraft programs is a general registry cleaner; although I have a license for it, I never use it.

I sometimes backup the registry because I feel like doing it. You can delete old backups, say more than a week old.

saint satin stain
www.leftinalabama.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users