Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Well Ive Got My Self A New 320gb External Usb Hdd

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mypenry

mypenry

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 09 September 2007 - 11:39 AM

Well ive got my self a new 320GB external USB HDD
With the intention of backing up my computer,
The new HDD is formatted in NTFS, with one large
partition. So I would like to now find if possible a freeware
application which would allow me to not only back up all
my important files, and Photo’s Etc but also to do a full
image and copy all that’s on my computer including
the operating system. The other thing I am not too sure on
is how( or if I have to ) to partition my new external HDD, so I could
may be have one partition for the O/S and a second
partition for my individual back up photo / Document folders.

As you can no doubt tell this is my first time down the backing
Up road , so any advice and comments on the above are most welcome

I am using Windows XP , my internal HDD ( 250GB ) has 3 partitions

C. Capacity 78.1GB
Used 17.1GB
Free 61.2GB
FAT 32
This partition contains the O/S and programme Files Etc

D. . Capacity 75.5GB
Used 841MB
Free 74.6GB
NTFS
This Partition contains un needed folders

E. Capacity 78.00GB
Used 4.30GB
Free 74.5GB
NTFS
This Partition Contains The Folders…..

Microsoft updates
Directx 9cRedist
dotNet Framework
Microsoft Visual Machine
VB.6.0 SP5 Runtime
Windows Media Encoder 9
Windows Media Player 10

I am not too sure why these folders are on this partition..?

also is it necessary to change my C partition from FAT32 to NTFS ..?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 12 September 2007 - 07:20 AM

There are free tools available for all of this, but choosing the right tool may be a bit difficult.

The easiest way to backup files is with a backup utility - 2 highly recommended one's are SyncBackSE and Cobian (do a Google search for them)
The easiest way to backup the operating system and programs is with a disk imaging utility (but I can't recommend any free one's as I use Acronis True Image (costs about $50 US)). This will preserve the hard drive in the state that it exists when the image is made.

There's 2 primary reasons for not using imaging software to do backups. They are:
1) The size of the image is huge and contains everything whether you need it or not
2) Exploring the image to retrieve info stored there isn't very easy when compared with backup utilities.

Also, while you can backup programs and the OS using a backup utility - restoring it will be durned near impossible because:
1) Installation programs hide entries all over your hard drive and in your registry.
2) Windows Security Identifiers/permissions/access lists may not allow these programs to function even if you successfully copy/move everything around.

I don't think that you'll need to partition the new, external drive unless you want to do it to keep things neat. Otherwise, just make sure that you've got a good plan for how to organize the files on the new drive and you'll be ready to go.

Why your E: drive contains those Microsoft programs? I dunno, but would suspect at one time or another the installer for them was pointed to the E: drive and it has remained that way.

Converting to NTFS is a good idea. IMO it's a more robust and forgiving file system, and it has extra security features that FAT32 doesn't have. That being said - if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If you're not having problems, then why try and remedy it? (FWIW - I've never listened to that sort of advice! :thumbsup:

Seriously, if you've got a good backup and are in the mood for some experimentation, first try restoring the image of your OS to the hard drive to see if it works. That's the final test of any backup/image - trying it to make sure that it works before you need it! Once you're assured that the image restore has worked, then try to convert the partition to NTFS. If it crashes, then you can restore the image without any problems (since you'd already tested it and it worked then).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users