Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Running Various Anit Virus Software

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cockydevil

cockydevil

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 09 September 2007 - 11:05 AM

I have the following antivirus and firewall on my pc, could there be any conflicts that could arise?

1. Microsoft Windows Live OneCare, trial version ( i cant purchase or upgrade as it is not available to my country)

2. Microsoft Windows Defender

3. Spybot Search and Destroy

4. HijackThis

4. AD-aware se personal

5. System Mechanic 7

I also use CCleaner. I also have the following on my pc but not installed

1. Stinger

2. Spyware Doctor

3. Ad-aware 2007

4. AVG

Please help me on what i should be using if they can run together or if i should get something else.

Thanks All

:thumbsup:
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 09 September 2007 - 08:52 PM

The only Antivirus I see listed, is possibly AVG, and you say it's not installed.
Is this AVG Antispyware, or AVG Antivirus.

If what's listed, is all that you have running, you need to install an Antivirus.
Only install one Antivirus, as the installation of more than one, will cause conflicts.
You can find several free Antivirus listed in our Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps topic, under the Antivirus Applications heading.

I also, don't see a Firewall listed.
You need to install one.
Only install one Firewall, as the installation of more than one, will cause conflicts.
You can find some free ones listed at the same link I provided above, under the Firewalls heading.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 cockydevil

cockydevil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2007 - 02:56 AM

Hi tg1911,

Thank you for taking the time to have a look at my post.

There are a few questions i would like to ask you,

1. so windows live onecare is not an anti-virus software??
2. windows live careone provides me with a firewall, is that ok?

can i run these programs without having conlflict? AD-aware se personal, Spybot Search and Destroy,Microsoft Windows Defender

Would it be bettefor me to remove all these software and in stall only 1 anti-virus and one firewall?
if i do so could i also run ad-aware se and windows defender?

Thanks you again for your valuable time!! i am learning alot from this site and from your help

take care

Edited by cockydevil, 10 September 2007 - 02:57 AM.

Posted Image

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 10 September 2007 - 03:42 AM

1. Not what I would consider an Antivirus:
Windows Live Onecare Scores Last In Testing
There are better choices.

2. Is that Onecare, or are you talking about Windows Firewall?
Windows firewall is not as effective, as a good, third-party firewall.
It only checks incoming traffic.
A good third-party firewall will check both incoming, and outgoing, traffic.
Why check outgoing traffic?
Say you become infected with a Trojan.
A firewall that checks outgoing traffic, will notify you, that a program is trying to access the internet.
Windows firewall won't, so your system could be compromised, and you wouldn't know it.

can i run these programs without having conlflict? AD-aware se personal, Spybot Search and Destroy,Microsoft Windows Defender

I haven't heard of any conflicts, with any of them.
As far as Windows Defender goes, you might want to check out this topic:
Windows Defender Fails In New Malware Test

Would it be bettefor me to remove all these software and in stall only 1 anti-virus and one firewall?
if i do so could i also run ad-aware se and windows defender?

I'd use the link I provided in my last post, for an Antivirus, and Firewall.
I'd keep Spybot, Ad-Aware, and add Spywareblaster, Spywareguard, and SuperAntiSpyware.
They are all free programs.
A couple of tutorials, for you:
Using SpywareGuard
Using SpywareBlaster

Here's a couple of tutorials, that would be worthwhile, to read, also:
Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe and secure on the Internet
How did I get infected?, With steps so it does not happen again!

If you use Internet Explorer as your browser, you should also read this one:
Making Internet Explorer Safer
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 cockydevil

cockydevil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2007 - 10:59 AM

Thank you fro the advice tg1911!!

Let me do the neccissary changes and adjustments and i will get back to you pronto.

Ciao.
Posted Image

#6 cockydevil

cockydevil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2007 - 11:35 AM

So here is my updated state,

Currently running:

1. Anti-virus: AVG
2. Firewall: Sunbelt Personal Firewall
3. Spybot-SD Resident
4. Windows Defender

and thats it.

I aslo run CCleaner and Ad-aware se personal everyday on a regular basis. I have also downloaded Spywareblaster and Superantispyware but i want to read the how to/tutorials about them before using them.

I also downloaded ZoneAlarm firewall but im not using it, could you suggest which of the two is better; Sunbelt or Zonealarm?

thanks again for your time

you have helped me greatly!!

Posted Image

#7 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 10 September 2007 - 04:31 PM

Adding to what tg1911 wrote, if I may :thumbsup:

If you pick ZA, please, use an older version, such as 6.1 or 6.5 as the current version 7 causes some troubles for some people. ZA is a very, very, fine firewall. One of the best if not the best.

I think current Sunbelt is based on Kerio, a great, albeit difficult to learn, rule-based firewall. I haven't used Sunbelt, I suspect it's easier to use than Kerio, and I gather it's good. It may even have some host intrusion prevention (HIPS).

I don't think anybody can tell you what firewall to use or which is the best. There are official tests, but they don't mean much without knowledge of complete configuration.
Best is to use one for a while. Then uninstall completely (often a process requireing great care). Try another. Take notes and make a decision. All that will take couple months of hard work :flowers:

What's Windows defender for? Just asking.

I'd add SpywareBlaster to your list. And no more resident protections.
Use other scanners for periodic scans.
If you get any conflicts between Spybot resident (TeaTimer?) and AVG, just disable the TeaTimer.

#8 cockydevil

cockydevil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2007 - 10:03 PM

Hi tos226, :flowers:

Well i've not been having any conflicts yet, thats some good news. I'm actually using the sunbelt firewall.
it has actually impressed me :trumpet: i like the layout of it all and the options it provides. and it does have HIPS.

Ummm, windows defender is a realtime antispyware i would rekon. i have had it for quite a while and it works great.

Well thanks for having a look at my post and thank you for your time and comments!

take care

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users