Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lightning

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 09 September 2007 - 08:21 AM

How dose lightning go through a phone line and get to you computer
with out melting the little wires in the phone line like a fuse link?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,292 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 09 September 2007 - 12:03 PM

It's not the phone line, it's backfeed on the electrical outlet. And it's so sudden if it does act like a fuse the damage is done.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,729 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2007 - 06:16 PM

I certainly can be the phone line. But as Animal said, lightning creats a very fast impulse that gets through fuse-type protection before the fuse has a chance to act. Surge suppressors have fast acting shunt elements that turn on quickly and shunt the electrical impulse to ground.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,292 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2007 - 08:45 PM

ddeerrff, is quite correct, it can be a phone line as well. But usually when lightning damage is done to a computer. More often than not it is traced to the electrical connection pathway. This can be attributed to the fact that "power" is placed the highest of all the utilities, on poles and attachments to homes. But yes, both pathways can be a conduit for lightning damage.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 09 September 2007 - 09:24 PM

I agree, Animal, but it gets worse:

I've seen PC lightning damage that could only be attributed to the network cable and I've also seen where we were centain it went in through the older parallel and serial ports.

While I don't have any first hand experience with it, I wouldn't be surprised if it couldn't enter through a USB port, too.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#6 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2007 - 09:38 PM

Ive had it come in though the phone lines a few times. It's always just shorted out the modem. i went through 5 modems in a summer because of errant lightening strikes.

Note none of these where direct hits to the line or the PC just surge voltage (+6volts to +10 volts my guess)

Posted Image

#7 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,729 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2007 - 10:36 PM

Back in the good ol' days, when a v.34 modem was considered High Speed, damage from lightning induced voltages on the phone line were not uncommon. Voltage spikes ofv 1000 volts or more are not uncommon on a phone line during a storm. Usually, these spikes are of short enough duration that the modem's built in surge suppression is sufficient - but not always.

Best way to safeguard your computer during a lighning storm? Unplug it from the power lines, and also disconnect the phone line and any network interconnects.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,590 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2007 - 11:50 PM

A good UPS will also protect you from most surges short of a direct lighting strike.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 Layback Bear

Layback Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2007 - 01:35 AM

I thank you all for your quick responses. How that much power, (lightning) can make it all the way down that phone wire to my surge protectors has still got me scratching my little brain. I have a friend who had lightning come down the phone line, melt his surge protector,cooked his computer and then went through the wall and hit his cast iron bath tub.The insurance company sent inspectors to his home to verify the claim before they would pay. I'm still confused.

Edited by Layback Bear, 13 September 2007 - 01:41 AM.

#10 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2007 - 07:37 PM

Here is a question can it come through a DSL line to fry a dsl modem?

#11 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2007 - 07:52 PM

yep, CGM3. DSL uses the same utility lines as your phone.

Posted Image

#12 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2007 - 10:01 PM

Oh man that means I still have to unplug something in a storm, I thought I was immune now with my fancy high speed box.

#13 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2007 - 12:30 PM

We had a bad storm while I was in the hospital and my UPS battery was dead. Luckily the only thing that got smoked was my Linux hard drive
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users