Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Torrentspy Blocking U.s. Users

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JacksonT

• Members
  • 105 posts
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 09 September 2007 - 02:00 AM

Recently the popular torrent sharing site torrentspy.com started blocking us users from using the site when the MPAA sued to get information on users to track them down and prosecute them. Is this more of the MPAA and RIAA trying to stop p2p file sharing or standing up for the rights of filmmakers and musicians? What do you think?

Edited by JacksonT, 09 September 2007 - 12:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 annabackwards

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 06 October 2007 - 06:27 AM

I think it may the MPAA and RIAA trying to stop p2p for legal reasons, that is to protect the rights of filmmakers and musicians.

And plus, as soon as they prey on one site, another will pop up anyway, so i don't know why they bother
Posted Image

Surf smarter, surf faster, surf safer, surf with Mozilla Firefox

#3 yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 06 October 2007 - 02:52 PM

It's called the Streisand Effect. You take down one, twelve more popup. Good example are the http://mediadefender-defender.com/ webistes. There are about twenty of them mirrored now. All I can say is that Film artists and creators are going to have to find another way to market or distributed them, so they can "compete" with the pirates.

You can't stop piracy. But you can make it pretty difficult. Or offer perks that you can't get with the the pirate copies that would be hard to replicate. Most people who pirate probably aren't into the "bonus features." But if the content at a more reasonable price and stop lying about how th artists are starving and when in reality the money is going more to the companies. Until I start seeing actors or actresses going without food, water, their house, then I would say "Ok, then they are suffering." But if they can't afford there $350,000 car then I don't think that's a legitimate excuse to say they are "starving" or are in desperate need for money.

I always thought that if you could download whatever you want through BitTorrent, and then go to ABC and pay like $1-5 to "notarize" your content on your computer, would be a reasonable way to make sure they got something. Of course not everyone would do that, but they could always use the threat "If your computer ever is involved in any type of lawsuit or if there is a warrant (whatever) you can now have proof it's a legal copy."

That's just my idea.

Edited by yano, 06 October 2007 - 03:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users