Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen Of Death - Inaccessible Boot Device

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 elleira

elleira

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 09 September 2007 - 12:45 AM

Hi everyone,

I've been looking though the posts here and have seen some similar problems, but nothing exactly the same. My dad's PC has been dead for the better part of three years and we've just decided to try to get it running again. He is (was) running Windows 2K, and we had the OS with no problems for about three years when all of a sudden, it decided not to boot up anymore. We've been getting the same BSOD no matter what we do; can't boot normally, in safe mode, can't restore to last known good config, nothing. Everytime, the same screen pops up. As I said, I've seen similar threads, but the main difference is the code at the beginning of the error message--all of those numbers have to mean something. Those threads had links to Microsoft help pages, but after reading those it doesn't seem like any of the info there would help (says it's for issues when installilng the OS--this system had been running for a long time before these screens showed up) Here is the error message in it's entirety:

***STOP: 0X0000007B (OX8187D670, 0XC0000006, 0X00000000, 0X00000000) INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart you computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart you computer.

Refer to your Getting Started manual for more information on troubleshooting Stop errors.

We've tried booting with the Windows 2K disc, but that doesn't do anything, either.

I've read about creating boot discs, but all I have is a laptop without a floppy drive--is there anyway to make a CD-ROM version? (Or will these even be of use?)

I'm really not sure how to get to the command line (I assume I do from either the Win2k disc or the boot discs). It's been too long since I've had to bs my way through fixing computers that everything is kinda dusty :) Since there aren't any new hd's or controllers, I am assuming that we caught a virus or that the hd is corrupted, but I can't run chkdsk until I can get on the command line. We're really, really hoping NOT to format the hd. Well, any help or suggestions would be really appreciated!

Thanks,

elleira

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 09 September 2007 - 05:33 AM

Have you been through this article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822052/en-us

If you are trying the steps which include booting from the CD-Rom:
In order for that to work you must first get into your BIOS and confirm that the boot order lists the CD-Rom first.
To get in to the BIOS, you need to time it right. Have your monitor on (and warmed up if a crt type) while your computer is off. Then turn on the computer and when you see the black & white text on the screen you need to hit the right key to get in to the BIOS. On some computers it is the DEL key, other it is F2, on still others its F10. If you're not sure, you can check with this list:
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm
If you are still getting the blue screen while trying to get into the BIOS, it means that the BIOS has already finished its startup routine before you've hit the key combo and windows has attempted to start. Try hitting the keys a little sooner in the startup phase.
Once you are in the BIOS, look for something along the lines of Boot Order, and follow onscreen help guide to move the CD-Rom to number 1 on the list.
Before saving and exiting, open the CD tray, put the disc in and close the tray.
Save & exit, the computer will reboot and (fingers crossed) read from the CD first so that you can run those steps from the help article.

Post back with any news - good luck :thumbsup:

Edited by jhsmurray, 09 September 2007 - 05:36 AM.

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

#3 elleira

elleira
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2007 - 11:23 AM

Yep, we tried the disc already (though I'm going to try it again to be on the safe side). When I first went into the BIOS, the boot settings were set to "floppy, floppy, floppy." I was hoping the problem was as simple as that, but no go... We tried a few different ways just in case the problem was as silly as the BIOS not set to boot from the hard drive at all, but it just seems like those settings were residual from when we originally tried to fix it. Even with CD-ROM set as the first boot option, it still gives me that same screen. Some of the info on that link looks like it might help once I get past the screen.

I had an idea (if NOTHING seems to work): Add a new hard drive, install Win2K, set it as the slave and try to access it from there. My worry is that if this IS all caused by a virus, it's going to render the second hard drive useless as well. Let me know what you think, and as soon as I try something new I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks!

#4 elleira

elleira
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2007 - 07:53 PM

We were able to get it booted up, everything seems good except for the resolution on the screen. We used the floppy discs (for some reason the cd-rom won't boot the computer) then we were able to use the autochkdsk.exe that was on the cd. Ran chkdsk c: /r and it repaired everything, we're trying to restart it now to make sure it's still going good. Thanks for the help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users