Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Convert Tv Formats

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 joe-learns

joe-learns

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 08 September 2007 - 09:19 PM

I need to capture an over-the-air TV transmission, then convert it into a format that can be viewed by my granddaughter who lives in Paris, and then record it on a DVD so she can see it. I got this far: Ad a TV tuner card to my Laptop (e.g., a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR950 which takes an antenna input and connects to a USB port). This will produce MPEG2. Now, how do produce a DVD which will work on French TV? Or does anyone know a site where there are tutorials for this.
I and my granddaughter thank you.
Joe

Edited by joe-learns, 08 September 2007 - 09:20 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dribdrab

dribdrab

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 08 September 2007 - 11:26 PM

I don't know a smatter about this ,but I think you could record and when played in France they could set their player to NTSC. We in the United States use NTSC format,Europe uses Pal.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=206323 Found this bit of info.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAL

Forever Ain't so long anymore

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2007 - 12:46 AM

If you're creating a DVD meant to be viewed on a computer monitor, no conversion is necessary since monitors can display PAL and NTSC. Viewing on a television will, however, require the use of a converter.

3939.png

#4 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 10 September 2007 - 04:53 AM

As dribdrab says the video system used in France and Europe is PAL. Converting the MPEG 2 video file to DVD is relatively straight forward, see google results. If your Grandaughter's DVD player can play Divx or Xvid files then you wouldn't have to worry about the video systems, just burn the video file to a disk and send to her!
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

#5 dribdrab

dribdrab

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2007 - 08:36 AM

I found more help "I think"!

http://www.afterdawn.com:80/guides/archive..._ntsc_dvd-r.cfm

Forever Ain't so long anymore

0 user(s) are reading this topic