Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Steps To Take To Diagnose A Problem?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 terrytech

terrytech

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 08 September 2007 - 09:03 PM

Hi--I have an XP SP2 computer that began having a mysterious and deadly :thumbsup: problem. Windows boots fine, but then clicking on ANY program starts the hard drive accessing continuously, and the given program won't load. This is true of every program I've tried. I've tried booting into safe mode and going back to previous system recovery points, but the problem still occurs, rendering the computer virtually unusable. (I'm talking about Microsoft programs, non-MS, Norton, Adobe, you name it).

XP has been updated regularly. It ran fine on the day of the problem for about 4 hours before it started to crump. NAV 2006 had run its usual weekly virus scan without finding any problems--the scan finished about 1 hour before the problem started.

What steps should I take to try and diagnose/fix this problem? Help would be much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2007 - 09:22 PM

Welcome to Bleeping Computers....

To find out what's making you hard drive work overtime try this little gem, please read the info on it first

http://www.whatsrunning.net/whatsrunning/download.aspx

Edited by ThorXP, 08 September 2007 - 09:23 PM.

#3 terrytech

terrytech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2007 - 12:02 PM

Thanks for your help.

Using your suggestion, I installed "What's Running", and it showed (in safe mode) that any program that was freezing was also calling Norton AntiVirus. It took me a while to figure out how to uninstall NAV in safe mode (could not get Control Panel to work in regular mode, since the hard disk was thrashing)--in case anyone else has this problem, download the Norton Removal Tool and run it in Safe Mode.

All is now well, except any recommendations about the free virus software available??

Terrytech

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users