Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fresh Xp Pro Install

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 wyrdmage

wyrdmage

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 08 September 2007 - 09:03 PM

I bought a computer from someone on Craigslist a while back, and the system was riddled with malware and unnecessary modifications. I have done everything i can to get the comp to run at its peak performance, but there is just too much that was screwed up by the previous owner. I want to do a fresh install of the operating system (xp pro) but, tho i do have the cd-key, i do not have an install disc. I was told that if i could find a xp pro install disk i could use that legally as long as i had my cd key, but i do not have a friend with a disc.

Is there another option? How can i reinstall XP Pro without the disc, or is there somewhere i can get the files online to make my own??

I also saw a tutorial on how to make your own install cd with the I386 folder on the computer....but the folder is not on my drive, so i dont know if thats a possibility or not.....

PLEASE HELP!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 08 September 2007 - 09:29 PM

Welcome to Bleeping Computers....

Anything you do to make an install disk even with the product ID is going to be illegal and since this is illegal there is another problem we can not work on illegal here at Bleeping Computers it is just against the rules.

Your only thing to do is either call Microsoft and order a new install disk with product ID or purchase one from the local retail outlet for computers or buy one that is used from a friend or other source.

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 09 September 2007 - 07:56 AM

If the computer had an OEM version of Windows installed, try contacting the manufacturer for a set of recovery disks. If it is a retail version, see this site for details on obtaining a replacement disk.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 09 September 2007 - 10:27 AM

Hi wyrdmage. You are able to get the PC manufacturer's XP Restore or XP Installations disc(s) that originally came with that PC. There is a sticker on the back panel or bottom of the PC that has both the model number and the serial number of the PC. With that info you can go to the manufacturer and order a set of discs for that specific PC. This/these disc(s) will include all the right drivers for the PC, too.

What is the make, model and serial number of your PC ? Dell PCs have a "Service Tag" number instead/in addition to a serial number.

#5 wyrdmage

wyrdmage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 11 September 2007 - 12:41 AM

yeah, i think that he actually did a reinstall himself, because the tag doesnt match the results i get from like...4 different cd key readers. And the tag is for XP Home and I am running Pro. Does that matter?? I have keys for both versions....should i just order the XP Home discs and reinstall with that?? Lol. I used to think I was good at this stuff.....

#6 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 11 September 2007 - 02:36 PM

Hi wyrdmage. XP Home does everything you will ever need, so the XP Home discs are all you need.

The cheapest option is to go to the PC manufacturer and buy the Recovery or Installation discs, whichever they offer. If they have a separate drivers disc be sure to get that, too - you may need to ask for it. Buying these discs might cost somewhere around $20 US - a real bargain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users