Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not Responding

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tam_1968

tam_1968

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 08 September 2007 - 07:35 PM

To start I'm not a computer pro and I've been trying to figure out what to do for a few days now. I have tried going through the steps before contacting one of you.
I already use spybot search and distroy I ran the scan for problems as usual, but when it came time to fix problems It fixed everything except, c:\windows\system32\command.com The Parameter is incorrect. Spybot would lock up and would show system is not responding when I try to run fix problem.
I went ahead and downloaded Ad-Watch 2007 thinking it might fix the problem, but it did not. I get the same reaction when I run the fix problem system is not responding.

If you don't think Im a total idiot by now this is what the pop up I get every minute or less reads

Warning Potential Spyware operation
Your computer is making unauthorized copies of your system and Internet Files. Run full scan now to prevent any unauthorized access to your files: click yes to download Spy Ware Remover
Yes NO

I did click on yes to download several different times thinking it might fix my problem but no it does not. It takes the page Im currently trying to view to a blue screen and read error at top of screen

I have probley told more than you needed to know, but that would be the blond in me.
Is my computer totally messed up or is it fixable? It is an older computer I would say about 7yrs old.

Thank You, Tammy

~Mod Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum~ TMacK

Edited by TMacK, 08 September 2007 - 07:51 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 08 September 2007 - 09:27 PM

Use the Smitfraudfix tool in the link below. Read the directions carefully.
http://siri.urz.free.fr/Fix/SmitfraudFix_En.php

Follow up with the programs in links below.

Install Super Antispyware. Run it in safe mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Run the online scan for Bit Defender in normal mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html

How to Start Windows in Safe Mode:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-start-windows-in-safe-mode/

Please let us know the results of the scans.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 tam_1968

tam_1968
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2007 - 12:02 AM

my mistake I thought something was not correct, but now I think it is. Tammy

Edited by tam_1968, 09 September 2007 - 01:03 AM.

#4 tam_1968

tam_1968
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2007 - 07:01 AM

Thanks for all the information you have given me. It has helped my system quite abit. If I would of wrote this yesterday, I would of told you how great my PC was working. But last night when I connected to the internet my home page was changed to MSN and locked up Explorer. Does or Could this mean that problem/virus is connected to MSN? I rerun Super Anti Spry Ware (free addition) and it found 3 errors that it cleaned up. I have not had problems yet this morning but I also did not click on the Explorer at start up. When I log on the yahoo messenger then click mail link and use that to vistit other sites my PC works ok.

I hope like heck that makes since. Please Help again. Tammy
Thank You for all the advice you have given me.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,482 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 12 September 2007 - 08:56 AM

You had a smitfraud infection. Smitfraud is a generic description for a family of rogue applications/trojans that uses misleading advertising, downloads rogue security products, changes (hijacks) the Windows Desktop and infects system files. The Trojan uses bogus security warnings and fake alerts to indicate that your computer is infected with spyware or has critical errors. It is responsible for downloading and installing programs that purport to scan for spyware and then uses false scan reports as a scare tactic to goad you into purchasing one of several rogue programs to fix it.

Let us know if you continue to have problems with Internet Explorer.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 tam_1968

tam_1968
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2007 - 09:46 PM

Thanks for all help, I downloaded and ran all the programs just like you guys said to do, and YEAH it worked. I have not been having the pop ups I was getting and when I run Spybot Search and Destroy or SuperAntiSpyWare they now clean up any detected problems my system is heavingl

A BIG THANK YOU Tammy
:thumbsup:

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,482 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 17 September 2007 - 08:41 AM

Your welcome.

Now if the problem is resolved, you should Set a New Restore Point to prevent possible reinfection from an old one. Some of the malware you picked up could have been saved in System Restore. Since this is a protected directory your tools cannot access to delete these files, they sometimes can reinfect your system if you use an old restore point. Setting a new restore point AFTER cleaning your system will help prevent this and enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state.

The easiest and safest way to do this is:
  • Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
  • Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name, then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
  • Then use Disk Cleanup to remove all but the most recent Restore Point.
  • Go to Start > Run and type: Cleanmgr
  • Click "OK".
  • Click the "More Options" Tab.
  • Click "Clean Up" in the System Restore section to remove all previous restore points except the newly created one.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users