Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Freezes Allll The Time Without Warning...please Help

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ShOwTiMe

ShOwTiMe

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 08 September 2007 - 03:34 PM

hey, so i've had this computer for about 2 years, and i move away from home for school, so neways wen i have it up for school i rarely shut it off, and wen i brought it back home the first time from school it did this freezing thing, where it would freeze allllllllll the time, but it eventually fixed itself somehow...but now i bring it back home for the school break and it's bin doin this freezing thing for like 2-3 months...i have no clue why it's doin this, and i hope one of you does, that would be sweeeeeeeet!...

Thanks,

Salah

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sp0nge

Sp0nge

• Members
  • 643 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2007 - 04:34 PM

Is it making any distinct noise just before or when it freezes?

#3 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 08 September 2007 - 09:13 PM

"You've had the computer "two years". In those two years have you ever opened the case to clean it? It could be freezing because it's overheating. You could need a new CMOS battery.

If it's not hardware related, have you cleaned out all the temp and junk files, old emails and other files, pictures, music files, etc, that are still laying around that you don't need anymore, and removed old programs you no longer use, and then followed all that with a scandisk and defrag on a regular basis?

Simple mechanical and Operating System maintenance are the first line of defense to prevent freezing and other problems with System performance.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 09 September 2007 - 07:51 AM

Have a look in the Event Viewer for any errors at the time of the freeze.

To open the Event Viewer go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer. Alternately, go to Start > Run and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Check in all three categories (Application, Security, and System).

If you find an error that occurred at the time of the freeze right-click on it and select properties. Copy the information in the window and post it back here. This will help us diagnose your problem.

How To Use the Event Viewer
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 ShOwTiMe

ShOwTiMe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2007 - 11:58 AM

sorry about the delayed response fella's. To answer u'r questions, no the computer does not make any type of noise before freezing, yes i have dusted off the fan and what not, and i checked the event viewer and the most recent error was at 4:46AM and comp. froze at 5:02AM, this was the error:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: MRxSmb
Event Category: None
Event ID: 8003
Date: 13/09/2007
Time: 4:46:50 AM
User: N/A
Computer: SHOW
Description:
The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer USER-525E77C892 that believes that it is the master browser for the domain on transport NetBT_Tcpip_{C974BE62-B93. The master browser is stopping or an election is being forced.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 00 00 00 00 03 00 4e 00 ......N.
0008: 00 00 00 00 43 1f 00 c0 ....C..
0010: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

#6 yr-less

yr-less

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2007 - 01:59 PM

If you have moved this machine around, it is possible that something has come loose inside. If you are comfortable opening the case, you could check all of your expansion cards and cables to make sure they are well seated. I have had machines that had intermittent problems after they have been moved and several times the problem was a loose power cable.

#7 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2007 - 05:39 PM

Just wonderin' - are you sure your computer has Windows XP on it? I have been researching the error and all I find is how it relates to Windows 2000.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#8 ShOwTiMe

ShOwTiMe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2007 - 09:57 PM

ya im positive that im using windows xp. I've tried both suggestions, cleaned out the hardware, and also removed items from startup, but unfortunately it just froze as i tried to play a song. If this helps, last summer wen i brought the computer back home from my school residence it did the same thing, but eventually fixed itself somehow, so neways I then changed the harddrive, and for the past 8 months of school it was working fine, until i brought it back here and right away it began with the freezing, but unfortunately this time it has yet to repair itself. Maybe that will help for some suggestions. thnx alot fellas.

Salah

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2007 - 08:02 AM

The master browser election error is common on home networks (and it continues into XP from 2000). It's a benign error (as it states) because it'll either stop the master browser (not "your" internet browser) or will fight it out with the other computer to see who's boss - either way it'll be fixed without your intervention. Most commonly it's caused on workgroups (home networks) where hibernation or sleep is used along with DHCP. The easiest fix is to assign a static IP (outside of the DHCP range) to the systems that are slept or hibernated.

Microsoft link: http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?id=188305
PCChuck's link: http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/search?q=master+browser

So, that's probably not the cause of the freezing. I'd suggest opening up Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del) and going to the Processes tab. Once there, click on the View menu, then on Select Columns - and place a checkmark in the IO Reads box.

Then, sort the columns in the IO Reads column so the highest value is visible - then wait for the system to freeze and see what process it says it taking up the most. Try this again with the memory column and again with the CPU column. While this method is pretty handy, it doesn't always work (as I found out last night!) - so we'll have to try other things after that if it doesn't.

Edited by usasma, 15 September 2007 - 08:02 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 ShOwTiMe

ShOwTiMe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2007 - 05:01 PM

hey thnx for the suggestions fellas, but unfortunately i am still havin the same troubles...i kno im killin u guys here, but do u have ne more suggestions??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users