Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound Not Working And Windows Wont Load With Cd, Cd/dvd Palyers On.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Johnz414

Johnz414

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 08 September 2007 - 01:13 PM

Hi,

I have a friends Dell PC on which the sound card and the CD/DVD Player will not work properly.

All sound comes out of the speakers garbled and very low volume (I have put push it up to #60 on the volume meter to get any sound) no matter what the source, HD, Internet Stream, CD, etc.

The CD/DVD Players work but Windows will not load with them on, i.e., Windows just hangs at start up with the CD, CD/DVD players on so I shut them off in the BIOS.

Under warranty Dell has come out twice for me and a number of times for the owner. They changed the mother board the first time because the PC wouldn't turn on, nothing would go on what so ever.

The second time Dell came out they changed the sound card and the CD/DVD player.

This had no effect on the sound quality. It's still exactly as described above, garbled and very quite.

I have done a Ghost image re-install that Dell made me aware is on the PC twice with no change to either of these problems, the sound not working and CD/DVD players no being able to be loaded with Windows start up.

I've also re-installed the sound card drivers from Dell's site with no change for the sound quality. They do have pretty much all the drivers for basically a total re-install at the Dell site which I have not done yet.

Also sense I don't seem to be able to load Windows with the CD, CD/DVD players on I don't seem to have much options for doing a total re-install other then with what's at the Dell site.

I take it that this all indicates that the Ghost Image is most likely corrupted and that it's a software problem that I'm dealing with.

The PC has Windows XP Media Edition on it.

So any suggestions anyone may have for me to give it one last try to help get my friends PC running the way it was intended to would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

John

Edited by Johnz414, 08 September 2007 - 01:17 PM.

John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 08 September 2007 - 02:24 PM

Hi Johnz414. How could Dell come out twice, change the sound board and optical drive and then not test them ?!!! This doesn't make sense. Make them come out again and YOU make sure that it''s fixed properly.

#3 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 08 September 2007 - 02:41 PM

Hi WinCrazy,

I checked the optical drives, CD, CD/VD players in my PC and they work fine. They just don't seem to work in my friend's PC.

In fact I just checked them again and I can load one at a time with Windows startup on their PC only they wont register that anything is in their bay when I put something in them. So they are basically useless.

But yes, I'm just trying what I know on them including checking on this forum before calling them back. Just trying to cover all bases. Thanks.

John

Edited by Johnz414, 08 September 2007 - 02:42 PM.

John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 09 September 2007 - 06:04 AM

If the CD/DVD players work in your system without issue - then the issue lies in the remaining parts in your friend's system. You can rule out more by switching stuff one by one.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users