Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Scanner Problem On Non-admin Account

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pbmac

pbmac

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 08 September 2007 - 12:56 PM

Hi,
I have an Epson 1260 Perfection flatbed scanner. It's used alot as a copier. Earlier this year, we started using an internet facing non-Admin ( Guest ) account. This account is always on the desktop now, since the family uses the internet more(since upgrading to broadband).
The scanner will not scan to copy on the Guest account, but will, on the Admin account. Selecting the "Scan to Copy" function, the scanner scans, but never sends the output to the printer.
Is this a "Sharing" issue, scanner or printer issue?
The OS is WINXP Home SP2.
Thanks in advance for any ideas, and your time,
pbmac

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2007 - 07:00 PM

I haven't used a scanner in a long time. To me, it sounds like a printer issue. I'm also not that familiar with multiple accounts. Can you share both the printer and scanner and see what happens?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 pbmac

pbmac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2007 - 05:22 AM

Tried sharing the printer from the admin account, no change. also checked the "scan to copy" config in Epson's "SmartPanel", all looks good there....output to the Epson printer selected. What's up with "Sharing"? When I right clicked on the printer, and selected Sharing, it gave me the option of using the Network Setp Wizard, or just allowing the printer to be shared. The Network Setup Wizard was asking alot of internet and home network questions. I'm trying to share a scanner's output with a printer, all on the same machine. It spooked me alittle, so I just picked "share with using the setup wizard". I have it as "do not share now".

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2007 - 07:12 AM

I would guess that the scanner spools it's output for the printer (or maybe the output for the copy) to a file located in a directory that the Guest account doesn't have permission to use. If this is the case, giving the Guest account permission to write to this directory should fix the problem (but may open some security issues with the OS).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 pbmac

pbmac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2007 - 07:07 PM

Hi, Epson actually got back to me on this, and here is what they have to say about it:
Your Epson scanner software, Epson TWAIN version Ver 5.5X, that have been installed by a Network Administrator who has login with Administrator rights. In order to successfully use your scanner software under Windows 2000 or Windows XP Home/Pro the software for the Perfection series scanners must be used by a person who is a member of
the Administrator Group. This is the Specification for the Epson TWAIN Ver 5.5X.

Thanks for all your input. This has been merely a inconvenience. But since we are on the Guest account mostly, I thought it would be nice to be able to scan to copy from there...Thanks again.
pbmac

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2007 - 11:50 AM

You'll have to make changes to the permissions on the both the directories used by the scanner and to the areas of the registry that it affects. And to do this you'll have to know which files and registry entries to change - so you'll have to know what it does to install the program. Then you'll have to make the changes manually - and modify the entries so that they point to the Guest account rather than an Administrator account.

This is a whole lot of work for a dubious return - it'd be easier to use an Administrator account with a bunch of restrictions than it would be to allow the Guest account access to the scanner.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users