Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Foxit Pdf Reader Crashing Ie6

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 08 September 2007 - 11:44 AM

I have a computer running windows 98se; I had been using adobe but recently transfered to the Foxit PDF reader ; I have confiirmed that adobe is NOT in my add/remove programs

my problem is that more often that not opening the foxit reader crashes the browser and I have to reboot; today I opened the foxit reader to 'update' it; merely doing that crashed the computer

IS this behaviour with foxit ' normal'?usual/solveable? :thumbsup:

edit;

the program is actually crashing the windows 98se itself

my thread title SHOULD really read Foxit crashing windows
I will see what error messages I get when I next run this 'excercise' , which I will NOT be doing in a hurry :flowers:

Edited by ruby1, 08 September 2007 - 02:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 08 September 2007 - 09:00 PM

I have 2 suggestions, both require uninstalling and reinstalling Foxit.

1 Try running only the Zip file when you install.
FoxitReader21.zip, you don't need to install the program on your computer. Unpack it and run the exe file directly.

2 Mybe a java conflict. The latest version 2.1 has a buiilt in java, perhaps uninstalling any java from your machine before the install of Foxit may work.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2007 - 05:18 AM

two questions
which java is the latest for win 98se?

(according to my control panel I have Java J2se 5.0 update 12 (?) on board )
?? http://java.com/en/download/windows98me_manual.jsp
http://java.sun.com/products/archive/j2se/5.0_11/index.html

which download do you suggest I use FOR foxit?

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/reader_2/down_reader.htm

DOES foxit have to be installed on the computer ?

what happens frequently at present is , just with win98se open and NO browser open, if I try to run or update foxit the win 98se crashes

on my next venture I will try to record all the error messages :thumbsup:

or is there an alternative other than adobe?

Edited by ruby1, 09 September 2007 - 05:25 AM.

#4 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 09 September 2007 - 06:27 AM

DOES foxit have to be installed on the computer ?

If you download the one in the ZIP file, it does not install. Just unzip it and click the Foxit icon and the program will open up.

You can put the folder anyplace you want, and a shortcut to it wherever that's handy for you. If for some reason it doesn't work, just delete the folder and it's gone. There is no add/remove for it because it does not install.

Maybe you need an older version since you are using 98. You can find them here. I don't think any of these are stand alone though (zip). They would have to be installed.

http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=foxit

Or some of them might be stand alone. I just downloaded the oldest version to my desktop and clicked the icon. Foxit opened up. Nothing there about installing it.

Edited by mommabear, 09 September 2007 - 06:39 AM.

#5 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2007 - 07:22 AM

I seldom really now use the program but another question ;DOES foxit have to be updated on a regular basis like adobe ?

and which download does anyone suggest I try FOR win 98se? the comp seems a bit unstable now so I beleive my present version OF foxit may be the culprit :thumbsup:

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2007 - 03:26 PM

I seldom really now use the program but another question ;DOES foxit have to be updated on a regular basis like adobe ?

A .pdf file is a .pdf file. I would say more often then not Adobe's updates are unnecessary. I only worry about the ones dealing with security issues. That would also apply to foxit
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2007 - 07:12 AM

A .pdf file is a .pdf file. I would say more often then not Adobe's updates are unnecessary. I only worry about the ones dealing with security issues. That would also apply to foxit
Mark

99.9% of the time I only use Foxit to read a .pdf. I don't worry about updates.

#8 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 30 September 2007 - 04:19 AM

I use Foxit by preference without trouble, but that is with XP Pro.

You may find something here: http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/reader_2/...eader%202.0.pdf

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users