Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Excel Files

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cluelessgene

cluelessgene

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 06 February 2005 - 02:09 PM

When bringing up my excel files from my documents it says it cannot find C:\ my.xls.
If I punch OK two times they will come up. Using Excel-97, no disk. Is there an easy fix or just continue to live with it? Not a big problem; can also get to my files fine by going thru the excel program and click the open files.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 06 February 2005 - 02:58 PM

I am not quite sure how you are bringing up Excel files in the first case, though you seem to be able to launch them from within Excel without problems. Please clarify.
Thanks
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 cluelessgene

cluelessgene
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2005 - 03:33 PM

My spreadsheets are kept in My Documents. When I double click an excel file it opens, that is up to a couple of months ago. Now when I double click it comes up with a Microsoft Excel window saying can't find C:\My.xls. This window has an OK area, I click it and it brings up the window again with can't find & gives my file routing location, saying I must have deleted or moved it. I click the OK one more time and all is fine, the excel file comes up. The best explanation I can do other than saying "have My Documents on desktop". Went directly to My Documents on C drive in case my shortcut was messed up but same thing.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 07 February 2005 - 03:58 PM

What happens when you right click on a file and check to see what application is associated with the file?
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 cluelessgene

cluelessgene
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2005 - 04:27 PM

Right click on file gives the normal---open, print, new, send to, delete, ect. Click open & get same two errors as above, then opens on second OK error msg. Click properties & says its an xlt file, & gives the proper location in the C:\My Documents.

#6 cluelessgene

cluelessgene
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2005 - 08:02 AM

I donít know why, but after getting inputs for this problem for months----yay---itís fixed. Went to settings, folder options, file types, Microsoft excel worksheet, edit, set default. All is well. Thanks folks. And did it myself. Whoopee. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users