Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

How To Answer "how Much Time Will It Take?"

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_gooky_*

Guest_gooky_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 08 September 2007 - 09:54 AM

How long will it take you to fix this/that? How long will it take you to do this or that? The end-users' question about how much time you will need to do IT service for them is the one of the MOST COMMON question they ask in the field. There can be so many variables in the how much time equation, and it's difficult to answer that question sometime or a lot of times.

Is there a your way answering this kind of question in the field?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2007 - 11:14 AM

"It is hard to tell until I look at it."
End-users often do not understand the complexity of their problem or question, or that you are juggling several problems at the same time.
1. Make sure you understand the problem. Get enough information from them so that you do not need to "call back" for more information. Often times, you must "translate" their problem to determine what is causing it, and it is best to do this at the beginning.
2. If it is not a simple problem or question, then tell them so. You may need, for example, to attempt to replicate their problem in either a test or in a live environment.
3. Keep them advised on the progress you are making, especially if it is taking significantly longer than you originally planned (or told them). You don't have to go into detail, but let them at least know you are working on it.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 08 September 2007 - 11:46 AM

Best answer from me:

"It will get done when it gets done and the more you ask the less gets done and the longer it takes to get done what needs to get done".
ha ha

#4 Sp0nge

Sp0nge

• Members
  • 643 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 08 September 2007 - 04:31 PM

These are great. I was asked one of these questions not too long ago by somebody requesting a 3D model. I said it depends on how much work is going on at the time and family comitments :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users