Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ram Timing And Rated Speed Question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 baso3456

baso3456

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 08 September 2007 - 09:12 AM

I have 2 sticks of corsair ddr 400 (pc3200) and 2 sticks of original to my computer, Hyundia ddr400 of the same speed but different timing. The timing on the corsair is 2.5-3-3-8 and the timing on the Hyundia is 3.0-3-3-8. My bios automatically sets my ram speed and timing to ddr333 and the timing to 2.5-3-3-7. This seems to work fine after testing with prime95 torture test and memtest 86+ version 1.78. Would it be better to manually set my ram speed and timing in the bios in order to get my rated ram speed of ddr400 instead of ddr333? In order to do this I must slow the timing from 2.5-3-3-7 to 3.0-3-3-8. This matches the Hyundia ram which is the slower ram. Is my bios doing a good thing or am I correct by setting my speed manually to ddr400 and slowing the CL to 3.0? I have just passed memtest after trying this with no errors and am in prime95 still testing as I write this. Which setting is better or faster?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,908 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 08 September 2007 - 09:06 PM

I'd suggest look at matching your FSB speed, that way will give you the lowest latency, which is usually the most efficient way to run, as the memory is designed to be synchronous.

So if you have, say, an AMD system with 333MHz FSB (166 clock rate) I suggest leave it as is. On a P4 with 400MHz FSB, try changing the settings manually, but if this were your situation, I'd expect the BIOS would already have set it this way.

If you experiment and set something so the system can't boot up, you may need to reset the CMOS data using the CLR_CMOS jumper on the motherboard. But a lot of more recent systems will revert to defaults on re-starting after a failed boot.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 baso3456

baso3456
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2007 - 12:10 AM

I manually set ram to DDR400 or 200MHz FSB. I also changed the timing from 2.5-3-3-7 to 2.5-3-3-8 and have made one error free pass in memtest86+ so far. The auto mode had a voltage of 2.72 which I changed to 2.66 because I see my ram specs out at 2.5V. I changed the timing to also match the corsair spec for my ram. This is an amd system and I replaced my dead board with a biostar 6100-m9. This is the first time I have ever replaced a board and the bios selections were a bit overwhelming for me. Bios auto mode selected a speed of DDR333 with a 2.5-3-3-7 timing with a voltage of 2.72. I don't know why. I feel better that it is running at ddr400. The ram tested fine no matter what I have changed. Even in the auto mode it tested fine. The spd for the Hyundia ram picked a ddr333 if the CL was 2.5 instead of 3.0 and I suspect this is why auto mode chose the slower speed.
Thanks Platypus for the help.

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 09 September 2007 - 04:20 AM

I wouldn't reccomend overclocking that Hyundia ram with a socket 939 at all, the onboard memory controller is so fast that it's very unforgiving
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 baso3456

baso3456
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2007 - 07:54 PM

I am not trying to overclock. I am just trying to set the ram speed to match the FSB speed. This is the best way to set up ram as I understand it in an AMD system. The only thing I have changed is the spec on the Hyundia ram from 3.0 to a 2.5CL. I have actually lowered the voltage to ram and it is as low as I can get it on this MB. I have no errors with memtest86+. I ran test#9 last night for 8 hours and all is ok. I see no reason to run my ddr400 ram at ddr333 when my FSB is 200MHz. Ram and FSB are now both at 200MHz. As I understand this is not overclocking - this is just setting your Motherboard to your factory specs for your cpu and ram. This is simply getting what I paid for.

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 09 September 2007 - 10:24 PM

I am not trying to overclock

yes you are

and the timing on the Hyundia is 3.0-3-3-8.

now how does setting the cas states to a lower value, less waiting? faster than specified, not be overclocking?

You are overclocking and you didn't pay for premium ram.

with cas states, lesser is better

with memory bus, higher is better

my cas 2.5 500 ram is as good or better than cas 4 800 ram

the original ram is slow, you are setting it to match the newer faster ram

Edited by DaChew, 09 September 2007 - 10:27 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#7 baso3456

baso3456
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2007 - 11:34 AM

Thankyou DaChew for explaining timing to me. I seem to be running ok in memtest86+. If I have a problem I will know where to look.
Thanks Again! :thumbsup:

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 12 September 2007 - 08:21 AM

Each time that you adjust the memory timing, run MemTest again overnight to see if it generates any errors. If not, then it should be good.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users