Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Keeps Restarting Before It Gets To Desktop

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 BN40

BN40

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 08 September 2007 - 08:45 AM

Before I begin, thanx to everyone that replies and offers suggestions. Here's the problem...my wife called me to say the computer would not go to windows login screen. Our computer, which is 4 years old, keeps restarting just before i get to desktop. When I returned home I cleaned out the fans and brushed away any dustbunnies (there were lots) and made sure the fans were running. I also changed the mobo battery as it was very low and reseated the ram. Great, thought it was sorted. No such luck. It still continues to reboot.

Last good config and normal start results in the same restart loop. When I try safe mode I get a long list of written lines before it restart again. I get a short blue error screen just before it restarts but i couldn't read it because its closes too fast. I disabled the auto restart on sys failure under F8 and am able to read the blue screen. It doesn't sound good, it reads:

STOP: c0000218 {Registry File Failure}
The registry cannot load the hive (file):
\SystemRoot\System32\Config\Sam
or its log or alternate.
It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system admin or tech support group for further assistance.

I've read most forums that sound similar but the problem I am having is I can't even run the Windows XP disc to start up the recovery console. I am a novice when it comes to computer knowledge so I may be doing something wrong but I have gone into the Bios and in Advanced setup made the computer read my CD first but with no success.

My computer problem sounds a lot like Kneesocks had yesterday but since I cant get the WinXP disc running I am stuck. Hopefully it is something I am doing wrong in running the Win XP cd, then I can follow the instructions she was given and be sorted. If anyone could provide some sort of advice it would be much appreciated. Thanx in advance once again

Computer made by IT person
AMD Athlon 1250
512 SDR ram
windows XP pro

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 08 September 2007 - 11:14 AM

When you exit the BIO, are you're selecting "exit and save changes" Just making sure
http://support.microsoft.com
http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 BN40

BN40
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2007 - 12:40 PM

Thanks for the reply :thumbsup:) I looked through the articles you included and they are helpful but I still am unable to get into the recovery console. Any other thoughts?

#4 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 08 September 2007 - 02:06 PM

Hi . See the following. It also applies to running the Recovery Console from an XP Intallation CD:

Why You May Not Be Able To Run SFC or Do a Repair Install

You may only have the option of doing a Restore. In any case you should install ERUNT. This could have easily corrected this problem.

Edited by WinCrazy, 08 September 2007 - 02:11 PM.

#5 BN40

BN40
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2007 - 12:34 PM

Hi Win Crazy, Thanks for your information. I have the installation disc. I know it is a longshot but is it possible that something is wrong with my XP disc and that is why it is not getting read? I can hear it spinning and then it stops, there is a short beep and it goes to reboot. I wondered if I could borrow a neighbour's XP disc just to repair but use my license number? Think that would still be breaking the law :thumbsup:( Would hate to have to buy another disc though they probably have come down since Vista is out.

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 09 September 2007 - 02:53 PM

You could burn a UBCD and try booting your computer with that as a test.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 BN40

BN40
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2007 - 02:46 AM

HI Budapest, Thanks for your advice. Sorry for the delay in replies. I have to go to my in-laws to use internet and p/u my emails. I have never heard of the programme you suggest. I'll have to read up on how it works. DOes it work for XP? A thought I had while at work was to buy an external hard drive and download my XP programme..if it works and use that to boot to repair but still be able to not lose my documents. Not sure how to do it or even if it is possible to do as I'm not the greatest with computers. Will read up on how to use your suggested programme first Budapest. Thank again.

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2007 - 03:16 AM

The reason I suggested trying a UBCD is because you said you are worried that your XP CD may be damaged. If your computer can boot with the UBCD, but not the XP CD then it is very likely a problem with the XP CD. But if neither will work then it's more likely to be a hardware problem.

You cannot use the UBCD to repair Windows. But it does contain a lot of diagnostic tools that you could use to test your hardware.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 BN40

BN40
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2007 - 02:27 PM

Hi Budapest, Thanks for the reply. read thru the UBCD and think I'll give it a shot. Sounds good. Is there a specific choice of the many programmes I should try? Will it repair if it is a boot up problem and not a Windows problem. I have heard memtest is good. Is that the one I should use? Thanks beforehand

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2007 - 01:11 AM

The UBCD won't be able to fix any problems, but it may help to pinpoint what the problem is. However, first you just want to see if your computer will boot with the UBCD. If it does then this means that it is likely that your XP CD is damaged and you should look to getting a replacement.

—George Bernard Shaw

#11 BN40

BN40
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2007 - 11:16 AM

Thanks for your help Budapest. Struggling to even get UBCD running so think it must be the computer. Is there a way to testing to see that I copied the download correctly. Think I followed all the steps but as I said before computers is not my strong point. Any help is appreciated, thanks again.

#12 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 12 September 2007 - 11:45 AM

Besides the UBCD, you could also try a live Linux CD such as Knoppix. If it boots and runs, you know the hardware is OK
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#13 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 15 September 2007 - 06:41 AM

Try the bootable CD's in another computer to make sure that they work.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#14 BN40

BN40
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2007 - 11:45 AM

Sorry about no replies. Thanks for your replies and I did try the disc in another computer and it worked. Think it is a job for a pro tech to sort out. Think it may be a worm. Thank for all your help.

#15 eXpelled

eXpelled

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 22 September 2007 - 11:59 AM

I had the same problem...except the XP CD one.I solved it by using CHKDSK /R in recovery console.
Have you tried to start windows in Safe Mode with command prompt?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users