Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Startup/program Opening

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 metallica5

metallica5

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 08 September 2007 - 04:29 AM

I got home from a 5 week trip overseas to find out that my computer not only loaded what took like 2 minutes, now takes like 15 to load all system tray icons etc... but to load anything that should be almost instantaneous (like internet explorer or firefox)or even regular folders like "my documents" takes a good 10-15 seconds.

Specs: AMD 4800+ x2
2 gig OCZ ram
2 eVGA 7600 geforce 256mb video cards
DFI Lan Party Mobo
XP Home

I haven't the slightest idea what's wrong with my system...

I did have a problem recently where my motherboard didn't recognize my ethernet port and my creative sound card stopped working, though I got a temporary fix from that by installing an nvidia ethernet port or something, (got help from someone I play a game with). That's not an important issue, just listing it incase it makes this new problem look more like a motherboard problem then a ram or processor problem.

I'm currently defragging, though I'm doubting thats going to fix anything, since it said I didn't have to do it...

Any help would be great, thanks.

*edit* silly me, didn't see the sticky about slow computers...

I'm goin through the checklist though I don't think that will solve my problem ;)

Edited by metallica5, 08 September 2007 - 09:32 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 08 September 2007 - 01:07 PM

Hi metallica5. Start here.

Has your computer slowed down ? Here's some good tutorials about what you can do:

#3 metallica5

metallica5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2007 - 08:31 PM

considering the way it happened, I would think that the problem is either from an application I installed or its faulty hardware, since it was almost instantaneous (from good to bad in one restart).

I've done everything possible as far as scanners go I think...

AVG, Ad-aware, Spybot, Norton (all scanners I've ran)

Defragged, disk checked, even unchecked all msconfig startup apps but still the problem remains

I think I might just reformat and see if that solves it, though I've never reformatted before, anyone know of any tutorials for that? (or a fix for my actual problem? :thumbsup:)

#4 Geoffc

Geoffc

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 08 September 2007 - 09:26 PM

Not an expert on your irritating problem, but I am experienced, and see you sailing close to more trouble than you need.

With XP Home, you can call up System Restore "START - HELP & SUPPORT - SYSTEM RESTORE" and return the state of much key system software to where it was before you went away: just pick a suitable day from those offered by your system, a day or two before you left. If the first attempt is not successful, try another date a few days earlier. This is a much less drastic approach than reformat.

And another thought: though it's hard to be patient in your situation, the day you've allowed for replies to your query is not much:many of us get laid back on weekends, and you may get more good help and suggestions in the next day or two.

Reformat is like beheading to fix a headache; it sure works, but at a huge cost in loss of data, email, reinstalling programs and the like, unless you do quite a bit of careful prep. I've done it twice attempting to fix what turned out to be a mechanical hard drive fault. Each time, the results were not perfect, but still cost me over four 12-hour days. When it comes to reformat, get a nerdy friend to help.

#5 metallica5

metallica5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2007 - 10:38 PM

I suppose i can try a system restore, the problem being is that im having a strong feeling its hardware based, so if the system restore doesnt work, a reformat is next, and if that fails then it looks like either my motherboard, ram or processor

*edit* system restore keeps telling me it cant restore to earlier times, any ideas?

Edited by metallica5, 08 September 2007 - 11:01 PM.

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 09 September 2007 - 01:36 AM

metallica5
I have moved your HijackThis log to the Misplaced HJT Logs forum.
Please follow all directions that I've posted, as a reply to your log.
By following these instruction, it will ensure, that your HJT log is taken care of, in the most timely manner.
Your log can be found at this link:
metallica5's HJT log

Since you have posted an HJT log, I'm going to close this topic.
From this point on, the HijackThis Team are the only members you should take advice from, until your log has been declared clean.

Edited by tg1911, 09 September 2007 - 01:41 AM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users