Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installation

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jhbumby

jhbumby

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 06 February 2005 - 12:42 PM

Why do I seem to have such a problem installing things onto my linux system??? I feel so stupid when it comes to these things. This is my biggest problem with linux is downloading things because I don't understand the language, so to say. Here is an example of the instructions of what I am currently trying to download, it is a game, and one I remember from my childhood of being kickass. The first 3-d game I can think of. Here it is:

Dungeons of Daggorath
PC-Port Version 0.4.0

------------

Unzip the tar.gz file, cd to the "src" directory and type the following commands:

make
cp dod ..

To run, type cd .. and ./dod

That's it! If you want to make a shortcut to it, make sure that in the "execute" box of the short cut, you type (including the quotes):

"cd <directory>;dod"

where <directory> is the location of the unzipped dod executable

Enjoy, if you have any problems with the port please post to the daggorath discussion forum at http://mspencer.net/daggorath

Thanks

I have no idea what this means. The file is currently in my home tmp folder, and it is unzipped as far as I know, I even have a blue gear sitting in the folder. Where do I go from here????

Thanks again guys.

PS: I do try to ask things as simple as I can, even if I know specific words and details, just so others who may not know can learn quickly without having to ask what a this is or that it, for example, blue gear. ;)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 13 February 2005 - 01:56 PM

Well one of the problems i see you having is GUI versus command line.
Most Linux programs are in tar/gzip format. After untarring/unzipping you will need to open up a command prompt (remember DOS?) and then the directions will make sense.
cd into the program directory and type: ls (ell ess- not an i )
you should see the src directory. type: cd src
now type: make
Trust me it gets easier after you do it a few times.
Here's a link to some Linux command line commands:
http://aaotracker.4players.de/clanmaptopli...&page=1&mapid=5
With Windows a program is a program and will run on Windows...on Linux the guy (or gal) who wrote the program may be using a different Linux than you so you use "make" to make the program work on your machine. The drawback to this is you might need dependencies (libraries) to compile the program on your system, but like i said it gets easier the more you do it.
And let me tell you how cool it is to get the PSX emulator working and play all your old PlayStation games on your computer. (my old playstation broke and i had a bunch of leftover PS1 games)

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users