Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Question...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DiCanio

DiCanio

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 07 September 2007 - 10:36 PM

How much slower is wireless exactly? Do you reccommend it for my laptop? And does my PC have to be wireless as well or can I connect it with a router (not wireless) to give it a boost?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Noot

Noot

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2007 - 09:40 AM

I'd recommend it for your laptop. It isn't that much slower at all, if at all. I used wireless when I was on my college campus and it was extremely fast, just as the internet on the desktops were.

Your desktop doesn't have to be wireless either. I know if you get a wireless router, it would be using the internet you use with your desktop, but bringing it through the airwaves for your laptop.

I hope that helped. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving
that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority."
E. B. White (1899 - 1985)

#3 DiCanio

DiCanio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2007 - 06:43 PM

Helped quite a bit... thank you.

Second question: I just went to Best Buy and they said it's $40 for the wireless router AND they reccommend it to be secure (or whatever it's called) and it costs $60 for installation. So $100 total for installation + router. What are the benefits of my network being secure? Is it faster, is it safer, is there any difference at all? I'm sorry I am completely clueless on all technology these days.

What do you suggest I do? Should I get neither and just steal signals, should I buy the router without it being secure, or should I get the full package with installation?

Thank you.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,026 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2007 - 09:54 PM

Do you reccommend it for my laptop?

Yes it's so convenient to be able to move the lappy about the house and use it.

does my PC have to be wireless as well or can I connect it with a router (not wireless) to give it a boost?

No as mentioned. the only boost you'll get is in security. Without too much detail the router acts as a second firewall ( In reality it is a hardware firewall) thus a tremendous boost to your security.

You will need to buy the wireless Router and a network adapter for the Laptop.
For a laptop computer:
1) A PC (PCMCIA) Card - about the size of a credit card and simply slides into a slot on your laptop computer. This type of card is recommended when using a wireless network setup since you can walk around without having to juggle an external adapter. OR
2) A USB Adapter - simply plugs into a USB port on the outside of your laptop computer.

I recommend a matched set of router and adapter for ease of install and use. I prefer Linksys.
Take a look at these instructions to determine if you can do it yourself. EasyLink Advisor
A walkthru, once you have your parts. EasyLink Connect

A wealth of other info Linksys.com

Edited by boopme, 08 September 2007 - 09:55 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Noot

Noot

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2007 - 10:05 PM

Helped quite a bit... thank you.

Second question: I just went to Best Buy and they said it's $40 for the wireless router AND they reccommend it to be secure (or whatever it's called) and it costs $60 for installation. So $100 total for installation + router. What are the benefits of my network being secure? Is it faster, is it safer, is there any difference at all? I'm sorry I am completely clueless on all technology these days.

What do you suggest I do? Should I get neither and just steal signals, should I buy the router without it being secure, or should I get the full package with installation?

Thank you.

The benefits of it being secure is that no one will get on your signal. If you secure it, only people you allow can get on. It's safer too. You can ask the guy more of the benefits if you are still unsure. But, my opinion is, if you live in a very populated area, such as a city and have the money to do so, I'd go for a secure network.
Posted Image

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving
that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority."
E. B. White (1899 - 1985)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users