Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Info On Biosctl.exe Please

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 07 September 2007 - 09:13 PM

This message comes on screen at boot up. I believe it occurred after Un install of AVG. I have Xp pro ,SP2

C:\windows\UI\biosctl.exe

The system file is not suitable for ms dos and microsoft windows apps. Choose close to terminate the application.
..buttons....Close ....Ignore

This error only happens on bootup and goes away when I click on close.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2007 - 07:38 PM

Feel free to submit it to http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/submit-malware.php?channel=3

It's most likely legitimate but unsure what it is.

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 73,329 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2007 - 08:01 PM

Thanks Grinler ,I've submitted the file..
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2007 - 04:50 PM

I still am unsure what it is. Its definitely not malware.

My guess is that it allows you to access your computer's bios info from within Windows.

Is it launching from anyone in Autoruns that you can see?

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 73,329 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2007 - 08:47 PM

Thanks again Grinler. I searched everey line in autoruns and did not see it.

I found a fix. So I'm posting it for anyone else that may need it in the future.
Also so someone may be able to determine both what the cause file and solutionfile are. I don't understand either.
Download,save to desktop(in case needed again), Run then rebppt and message is gone.

I searched around and found this file, XP_FIX.EXE,
The executable
http://www.visualtour.com/downloads/xp_fix.exe

The description

This installaton program will reinstall the missing or corrupt Windows XP system files command.com, autoexec.nt and config.nt. The absence or corruption of one or more of these files causes a "16 Bit Subsystem" error.

We recommend that you download this file and save it to your desktop or to another location where you can find it. Double click on the file to run it once it's downloaded. If problem reoccurs in the future, simply re-run this program

from here
http://www.visualtour.com/downloads/

Edited by boopme, 10 September 2007 - 08:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users