Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removal Of Install At Start-up

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 wildvan

wildvan

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 07 September 2007 - 06:56 PM

I recently had my install disk in the computer. The operating system is windows media player, I wanted to install xp pro over this and started, only to be told that I needed to completely format my hard drive.- Now the problem.

Every time I start the computer, it automaticly wants to try to instal windows xp pro, I have a option to hit the up arrow which lets me start windows media instead.

How do I get rid of the windows xp pro start up innstall files so that when my computer starts, I dont have to hit the up arrow to start window media instead of trying to install windows xp pro?

Thanks in advance for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 07 September 2007 - 11:04 PM

Hi wildvan. It sounds like the recent install doing happen properly. Try doing the install again. Pay careful attention to any options that may be presented. If there is an option to format the hard drive then take it.

#3 wildvan

wildvan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2007 - 01:06 AM

Thats the problem,I decided not to do the install of the Xp Pro and stay with the xp media, Now on boot, the computer wants to try to install pro, and I do not wish to..

#4 annabackwards

annabackwards

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 08 September 2007 - 01:35 AM

Do you have the installation disk for Media Centre? Tell us if you do and we can take it from there
Posted Image

Surf smarter, surf faster, surf safer, surf with Mozilla Firefox

#5 wildvan

wildvan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2007 - 12:38 AM

Yes, I have the install disk..

#6 annabackwards

annabackwards

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2007 - 04:03 AM

That's great. Remember to take care of it- you may need it in the future (let's hope you don't)

I would recommend you repair your installation. It won't wipe out anything on your computer, but will fix any broken system files. The down side is that it will take a while though, should be just less than one hour.

If you don't know how to repair, please click here and follow the instructions

Good luck :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#7 wildvan

wildvan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2007 - 08:16 PM

Great idea, now, if I could only get my machine to boot off of the install disk. I put in the disk, booted the machine and it does not boot off of the disk, only booted off of the hard drive.. Beginning not to like this dell much LOL
Next suggestion??

thanks for the help..

#8 annabackwards

annabackwards

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2007 - 01:48 AM

Dell? Was meaning to buy one, much better quality and price than most other pre-built models i've seen...

Anyways, to boot off the disk, you just have to pay a bit of attention when you restart the computer.

So place the CD in there and restart the comp. Look at the bottom of your screen. There should be something along the lines of: press F2 or some other button to change boot priority.

So basically, press that button, as soon as you realise what it is. Just follow the prompts to change the priority and follow the rest of the steps in the thread above if you need to

Good luck!
Posted Image

#9 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2007 - 01:52 AM

On most dell computers, you should tap the {F12} key when you see the Dell logo, this will bring up the boot menu. Use the arrow keys to select the optical drive (cd) and then tap enter, press the space bar when the screen has the press any key message.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users