Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

1st Pc Build Spec List

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 benny269

benny269

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 07 September 2007 - 06:40 PM

Hi

After some a long while of advice and research, I've come up with a spec list for my 1st PC build. Just for background its a PC I'll take to uni, fairly fast and high end and capable of multitasking, capturing/editing video and playing DX9 games well and perhaps some early DX10. The idea is to create a strong PC that will itself last a good few years as well as providing room to upgrade with upcoming releases.

The following is a list of the parts I have chosen and my reasons behind it:

CASE - Coolermaster Mystique 632S

Sturdy steel model, good cooling with 2x120mm fans, sockets for liquid cooling, attractive design

MOBO - Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R

Has all the features I need, good quality and value from a well known brand, I've read a few good reviews, potential to upgrade with Penryn, the higher models with CF support is of no use to me nor is DDR3 support (dual with DDR2 or otherwise), plenty of SATA connectors, no firewire but I don't use it much and I'll probably add 1 later on a fan controller or PCI card, I've also seen people use it with the E6750 and get reasonable overclocks so hopefully with good RAM this will be possible

CPU - Intel E6750

Best price/perf value, latest 1333FSB, cheaper than E6700, overclockability headroom

RAM - Crucial Ballistix 2GB

PC2-6400 DDR2, has shown overclockability to above PC2-8500, well known brand, special deal good value, attractive design

GRAPHICS CARD - eVGA 8800GTS 320MB

Best value high end card, very good DX9 capability, early DX10 capability, plenty of GDDR3 RAM, performance similar to 640MB version

HDD - Samsung Spinpoint T166-HD501LJ

Large hard-drive for lots of media I gather, fast and efficient model, lots of good reviews, will allow a few good sized partitions

N.B. No RAID for now as from what I read it seems to complicate more than its worth. Will continue to use external backups for now and perhaps opt for this in the future.

PSU (& PERIPHERALS) - Corsair HX 520W

Well know and popular power supply, reasonably quiet, good reviews, modular, lots of power to cover future additions of 2 DVD-RW drives, memory card reader bay, TV Tuner card to name the ones I have planned so far...

So this is where I am now. Please let me know how I am doing, where I am right and wrong and offer your thoughts on how you would do it differently but most importantly what the best choice would be in my situation. Please note that all the links I have included are the sites from which I would probably buy the products if I decided on them. eBuyer seems to be particularly cheap and offers free delivery but I've read a few bad reviews which makes me nervous - any first hand experience? Any other recommended retailers would also be useful.

Looking forward to your views. Many thanks :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 09 September 2007 - 11:48 AM

I buy the majority of my stuff through newegg. Don't know who makes Cosair's p.s. I'm partial to Sparkle's units
http://www.sparklepower.com/
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 09 September 2007 - 02:02 PM

I believe Corsair power supplies are made by Seasonic. They are good stuff. The HX520W got a grade of 9 from JonnyGURU.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#4 benny269

benny269
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2007 - 04:49 PM

Yeah this model (perhaps the whole range?) is made by Seasonic. The HX 520 seems to have gotten good reviews and a lot of happy customers so I went for that one. I think it should be sufficient to support all the current hardware plus a couple of PCI/SATA extras.

Can't buy through newegg in the UK unless I want to pay for the shipping (flying - which I don't).

Any other opinions, ideas?

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 09 September 2007 - 07:12 PM

Hopefully, others from the UK will see this and offer other places to try out also
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 benny269

benny269
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2007 - 06:36 PM

Thanks to everyone for their input and advice. Just a few last minute bits to sort out. I've posted my proposed specs on a couple of forums and am having to just make a final decision on the following:

RAM - I originally posted the Crucial Ballistix but was later also recommended a pair of GEIL sticks at 10 less. Geil is less known to me but has some good reviews on this site and others from its users. At the moment I'm still swaying towards the Crucial RAM just because I've read about some really good overclocks with them on both websites and magazines so I might spend the little extra and take the chance.

HDD - Original post was for the Samsung Spinpoint 500GB which I have read lots of great reviews for. I've just now been advised to look at Seagate. Apparantly the perpendicular storage they offer is better? I don't know much about this so I need advice and tips (even links to articles or reviews would be good) as I don't actually know which model this would be. I do need it to be 500GB so a rough Google Products search puts it at the same price point but I'm not certain.

GPU - Not much of a problem here, just that I selected the EVGA 8800GTS but there is an Innovision card on eBuyer which is 10 cheaper as well as XFX and Point of View at the same price as the EVGA. I'm told that the more expensive ones have a better heat spreader. Is this correct, if so is it worth the small price premium. Don't mind either way, but which brand is best?

So if I could now get your views on these it would be appreciated. Thanks again.

#7 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2007 - 05:37 AM

Pretty good setup, personally I'd avoid the Samsung drives, as with Hitachi or IBM, in the past I've experienced numerous problems - I tend to favour Western Digital or Maxtor drives.
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users