Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Asus Dual Cpu K8n-dl

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 linuxguru707

linuxguru707

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 07 September 2007 - 05:50 PM

hi,
im running a k8n-dl with dual amd opterons 240's (non dual core just 2 physical cpus) with 2 gigs of kingston ram reg ecc. and for some reason i can only see 1 cpu win i boot up with my knoppix cd. I also see 1 gig of ram in the bios and in windows which is weired. i have bios 1003 right now, when i called asus they said that my bios should not be and issue. i have had this motherboard replaced 2 times and tried a 1008 bios version but did not fix the issue. i have even tried 1 cpu at a time in socket 1. any help would be greatly apprecited.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2007 - 06:51 AM

Have you tested each stick of RAM separately to ensure that they're all good? Have you cleaned out the slots to ensure that good contact is being made? Since the BIOS doesn't detect the RAM, then it's likely that this is a connection issue (since you've tried other mobo's also). Are the sticks compatible with each other and with the mobo?

You'd be better off asking about the Knoppix abilities over in the Linux forum - but my question would be "Does your version of Knoppix support your motherboard and dual CPU's?"
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 linuxguru707

linuxguru707
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2007 - 12:08 PM

yes i have tried eah ram seperately and these ream modules are comapitable with my mobo. i havent really cleaned out the slots though. i have called asus and they said they have never seen this problem before. they asked me what kind of power supply im using and i told them that im using a standard atx 600watt power supply. they told me that i need to get a server power supply that support ssi which has a 24pin power and 8 pin power connector to the mobo.

the only time that i use knoppix for this is to test and see if it sess 2 cpus. only 1 penguin shows up and not 2. it says error dectecting cpu. the verision of knoppix im using does support multiple cpus.

i have a hard drive with windows xp on it and it will only see 1 cpu at 1.4ghz and 1 stick of ram 1gb.

all the memory that i have installed is compatible.

i think im going to try a ssi power supply for now if that dont work ill take it back.

let me know if you have anything else to say and thanks for the reply!

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2007 - 08:13 AM

I suspect that it's either compatibility issues or a problem with your components. Since you've replaced the motherboard several times, that would seem to rule that out - and the RAM testing that you've done would seem to rule that out.

Because it's both the CPU's and RAM that aren't detected, we're looking for a common denominator and the only "requirements" that I was able to find were for an ATX v2.0 PSU - so I'd say that was worth a try (but may not be the cure).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 linuxguru707

linuxguru707
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2007 - 10:20 AM

I suspect that it's either compatibility issues or a problem with your components. Since you've replaced the motherboard several times, that would seem to rule that out - and the RAM testing that you've done would seem to rule that out.

Because it's both the CPU's and RAM that aren't detected, we're looking for a common denominator and the only "requirements" that I was able to find were for an ATX v2.0 PSU - so I'd say that was worth a try (but may not be the cure).

ok i just tried a server power supply that supports ssi and sure enough it worked!!! thanks to asus there no help and they kind of left me to figure it out all this time. now i know what to do and what to buy when i build my next server. thanks so much for the support.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users