Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cd Not Being Read

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 07 September 2007 - 02:59 PM

Hi,

I recently I recently installed a used Hard Drive on this Compaq Presario 5000, I was not able to get it running so I restored it with WXP SP1, and it works fine.

It is not used for on-line work so I download some items from the internet or my CP-4300US and upload it to the 5000, I thought I noticed some quiks before but was not able to pin point anything in particular until today.

I have three D/L's on the Disc, and uploaded them to the 5000, going back to the disc the computerm only reads that there is one folder, but the 4300US reads all three.

Can you tell me what this may mean ?

Jove

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 07 September 2007 - 10:29 PM

Hi Jove. This is curious. How about you try an experiment. Find the drive letter of your optical drive. Load the mystery CD in it. Now, click Start > Run... Now type in cmd and then Enter. At the command line prompt type dir X: but replace the X with the right drive letter.

How many folders are listed ?

#3 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2007 - 11:07 PM

Hey WinCrazy, this may take a little time, I did not mean to sound like as if I was a Wiz, I did that hard drive switch step by step and with my fingers crossed., and some good instructions from BC, directors. I am pretty much a novice. Please tell me more about the drive letter or how I can find it ? Then we may have something. Meanwhile I'll try to look it up.

Jove

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#4 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 08 September 2007 - 07:07 AM

Open My Computer (Either on the desktop or the start menu)
Find the icon for your CD drive. The drive letter is shown in brackets after the name of the disk.

Also, does the presario 5000 have a CD-writer?
Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

#5 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2007 - 01:44 PM

Hello Everybody,

I have not solved the disc mystery yet as I am still studying this, and am finding out a little bit about HD partitions, . .however for our mutual information purposes, you may want to know that there are probably various computer functions, Downloading files from the internet and downloading files to a CD, that must not be interupted.
I have an AOL phone feature, voice messaging, and believe it is an antagonist, when computer operations are taking place, especially if you have the sound turned off, if a call comes in and possibly even if it is blocked, the computer has to block or take a message. I believe that this can be a contributing factor to fouling up things.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#6 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2007 - 11:48 AM

Open My Computer (Either on the desktop or the start menu)
Find the icon for your CD drive. The drive letter is shown in brackets after the name of the disk.

Also, does the presario 5000 have a CD-writer?

CD Drive (D:)

About the CG Writer I have looked in BC Glossary and did not find a definition, I apologize but do not know what this is ?

Jove

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#7 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 09 September 2007 - 09:29 PM

A CD writer or CD burner is a compact disc drive that can be used to produce discs readable in other CD-ROM drives and audio CD players.
See the Wiki definition of CD Writer.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#8 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 11 September 2007 - 01:40 PM

What message do you get if you follow WinCrazy's suggestion now (Using D instead of X, e.g Dir D:\)?
Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

#9 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2007 - 06:15 PM

Hi Jove. This is curious. How about you try an experiment. Find the drive letter of your optical drive. Load the mystery CD in it. Now, click Start > Run... Now type in cmd and then Enter. At the command line prompt type dir X: but replace the X with the right drive letter.

There are three folders, at the time it only read one.

I have not tried this, however I have gotten it to open by placing the disc in and going to my computer and clicking the disc prior to the title down load. (and am able to see and open all three files).

About the optical drive I take it that this is represented by the letter in question, CD Drive (D:) after the CD icon, and therefore are one and the same, . . would that be correct ?

Edited by Jove, 11 September 2007 - 07:16 PM.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#10 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 11 September 2007 - 08:19 PM

Hi Jove. So, XP always see 3 folders, but it may not see all 3 files, right ?

What program did you use to burn these files and folders to the CD ? I suspect that XP may be having a difficult time recognizing the files due to an unusual non-standard disc format.

#11 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2007 - 12:05 PM

I entered cmd and clicked enter, and got a black box C:\WINDOWS\System32\cmd.exe
In the the box the curser is blinking after 3 lines as follows;

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
<C> Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
C:\Documents and Settings\My Name>_

Is this the command line prompt? where you want me to enter, dir X: ??

Jove

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#12 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2007 - 12:56 PM

BTW, in the case you know the 5000 well enough there is a disc compartment in the front lower.

Is this a disc storage ?

Edited by Jove, 17 September 2007 - 12:57 PM.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#13 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2007 - 06:45 AM

Is this the compartment that you're referring to? If so, it's for the HP Personal Media Drive ( http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...720&lang=en )
Posted Image

Edited by usasma, 19 September 2007 - 06:47 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#14 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2007 - 04:35 PM

John,
Thanks,
Nice picture of a computer, but no thats not it, what I am talking about is takes up more than a third of the lower portion and opens like a door and is pulled down to open, since it is a horizantal opening compartment, inside of this compartment are two plastic disc that appear to hold CD's, as a matter of fact there was one in it and it was a Lexmark Printer installation, since I was not using a printer with this, I took it out, and now I am very sure it is there just to hold such CD's.

If that is correct, have any feed back for this:

I entered cmd and clicked enter, and got a black box C:\WINDOWS\System32\cmd.exe
In the the box the curser is blinking after 3 lines as follows;

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
<C> Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
C:\Documents and Settings\My Name>_

Is this the command line prompt? where you want me to enter, dir X: ??

Jove

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#15 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 21 September 2007 - 02:14 AM

It may be that you can only read those 2 mystery folders on the PC that burn't them. Some programs only let you see the burn't files on the computer that burn't them. I had this problem but may be different for you

Good luck in solving it though!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users