Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Does Not Detect Wireless Signal

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Biggre

Biggre

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 07 September 2007 - 01:28 PM

In my home network, we have (had) 3 computers, our main computer on our second floor, my laptop also on second floor and a third computer in my basement. My basement computer hadn't been used for some time and when I went to use it a few days ago, there was no wireless signal coming in at all. I am not that tech savvy about how messing around with the internet options, but maybe a month ago when Linksys sent an update out, it had caused my laptop to frequently lose the signal. I assumed that this was the case for my basement computer and followed the same instructions that I had recieved on the Linksys technical forums. I went int and changed some of the wireless options as follows:

Changing the SSID to anything but a Linksys name. Not sure if I didn that since I wasn't able to access http://192.168.1.1
Change channel to either 1 or 11, I changed it to 11
Change beacon interval to 50. I was not able to find this option in the network configure option.
Change RTS and Fragmentation Threshold to 2304. Done

I did all this and my basement computer still will not pick up any wireless signal. The only other thing I could think of was to maybe rollback the driver but I didn't want to potentially make the problem worse.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Noot

Noot

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 08 September 2007 - 09:33 AM

Hey!

Sometimes it can be as simple as the fact the signal might not be able to get through the walls to the basement. Have you ever been able to get wireless down there?

I've heard sometimes if the walls are too thick, the signal can't get through.
Posted Image

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving
that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority."
E. B. White (1899 - 1985)

#3 Biggre

Biggre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 09 September 2007 - 11:55 PM

Yes, I had gotten signal down there before so I know the signal can reach down there.

#4 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 12 September 2007 - 06:19 PM

Try and set your lease time in the DHCP to forever, if possible. I tried setting it for less once, but it started loosing the signal after a while, even when set to like a week.

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users