Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cpu Redlining

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ICON

ICON

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 07 September 2007 - 11:05 AM

Ok for some reason it never used to happed, but my cpu goes to 100% for a couple seconds like its loading something, then all the desktop icons kind've reload themselves. This seems to happen every time i close a folder and some programs. Or if im working away it'll just happen for no reason.(just happened as im writting this)

i have done different troubleshooting, when it happens the programs dllhost.exe shows up in the task manager but then goes away after a couple seconds, and explorer.exe cpu usage goes to 80 to 100%.

i have also tried turning off vista aero, and going to vista basic theme, and turning off certain programs vista runs by default but still it happens.

i dont know whats going on here, if its just on of those things that make vista the best operating system ever :huh: (sarcasm)

has this happend to anyone else?

Please help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 08 September 2007 - 02:52 AM

How much RAM do you have?
Do you have much stuff on your Desktop?
You can try the free program Process Explorer ( http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...ssExplorer.mspx ) to figure out what's running beneath the dllhost.exe process.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2007 - 03:54 AM

my system does this a little, the cpu doesn't seem to max as long as yours, but the icons reloading happens fairly often, I suspect it's related to my lamer/older gaming video card having trouble keeping up with my overclocked cpu and premium ram

running xp with performance not appearance settings
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 ICON

ICON
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2007 - 11:20 AM

i have Intel Core 2 Duo 1.5Ghz, 2Gb ram, and a Geforce 8600M GT 265mb.

well now im think its a hardware compatibility issue but i dont know

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2007 - 12:33 PM

well in a laptop when it's idling and/or relying on battery power the cpu clocks down, that video card is not all that fast or powerful, and vista has a huge footprint

if it's only a couple of seconds then I wouldn't worry about it
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users