Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Card/ Dual Monitor?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 wannabeadmin141

wannabeadmin141

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 07 September 2007 - 09:15 AM

BC help please!! - couple of questions regarding a dual monitor setup..

1) do i need 2 video cards for a dual monitor setup?
2) i heard there was an adapter that connects 1 video card to 2 monitors?
3) if i have a pci video card as well as a motherboard video card can i plug the 2 seperate monitors into each of these or is that not going to work?
4)once everything is setup, in windows what is the procedure for splitting the screens so they scroll from 1 screen to the other.

please assist, thanks!!

"As it was in the beginning, it will be in the end "

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2007 - 09:22 AM

name='wannabeadmin141' date='Sep 7 2007, 10:15 AM' post='612981']
BC help please!! - couple of questions regarding a dual monitor setup..

1) do i need 2 video cards for a dual monitor setup?

No.

2) i heard there was an adapter that connects 1 video card to 2 monitors?

Probably, but you really should have a video card with a dual monitor output.

3) if i have a pci video card as well as a motherboard video card can i plug the 2 seperate monitors into each of these or is that not going to work?
4)once everything is setup, in windows what is the procedure for splitting the screens so they scroll from 1 screen to the other.

I believe that does work...but can be tricky (depending on the computer) getting both monitors seen. Once both monitors are setup, when you right click the desktop and choose properties, then over to the "Settings" tab, you should see two monitors listed...then you right-click the number "2" monitor and select "attached."

Also make sure the checkbox below that area "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor" is checked.

(Someone else may have better answers for you.)

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2007 - 03:04 PM

jwinathome summed it up prety well. The art of Video card stacking is traditionally done with an AGP and a PCI video cards. This works because the PCI bus and the AGP bus are completely different and can be used simultaneously . When it comes to the onboard video and a PCI card it should work as well because the onboard graphics chip does not use the PCI bus. I have never tried this way and the computer or the operating system may have a problem with it. Once you have both video source's installed properly windows will recognize both monitors. Once you getting working I would suggest checking out Ultramon its a free one month trial and it gives you OODLES of options and tools for working with multiple monitors. I have another monitor comming this weekend I will give a try the onboard and the PCI card together. Let us know if you get it working before then.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users