Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Quad Core Cpu's

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 07 September 2007 - 06:48 AM

What programs can use the quad core technology? Mainly, Photoshop (versions CS2 and 3) and Corel Draw (any versions). Adobe premier pro v1.5, AVID, Velocity would be good to know too. I've been on the Adobe forums, but have got mixed answers, nothing solid. I do know that there is a new version of Phase One (version 4) that'll utilize quade core, so I plan on getting that. But there was a guy at work who wanted to order dual quad core computers, but I don't see the point in wasting the money if the programs we use won't support a single quad core cpu.

Thanks! :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 07 September 2007 - 08:05 AM

I believe most of the processing intensive filters and such in CS3 makes use of quad-cores. Dual quad-core sound a little over the top unless your doing video encoding, rendering or similar processor intensive work.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2007 - 12:10 PM

About the only programs ( I am at a loss for exact names ) that would utilize dual quad core CPU's would be 3d rendering, and the above mentioned

Edit: you could do some Serious F@H with that too

Edited by Sneakycyber, 08 September 2007 - 12:13 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2007 - 07:04 AM

This is a case of the hardware outpacing the software - and it's been happening since computers were invented. I researched dual and quad CPU systems back around 2000 and found that the software support just wasn't there - so I stayed away from it then.

Now that dual cores have proliferated, the software has started to catch up. The same will happen with quad core (and multiple quad cores) IMO - once they become mainstream it'll be profitable for software writers to design software to support it. Until then, only the bleeding edge of software technology will even begin to attempt to support that many cores - so you're at the developer's mercy (they just can't sell enough to make it profitable - but there is a tradeoff for research to develop stuff for emerging technologies).

Edited by usasma, 09 September 2007 - 07:05 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users