Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Processor Upgradeing

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ICON

ICON

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 06 September 2007 - 10:29 PM

I have a dell Inspiron 1720, 2gb am, Geforce 8600M GT 256mb, core 2 duo 1.5GHz.

and i was hoping to upgrade that processor to like 2.0GHz or something, i just need some info.

first is it very difficult to upgrade a laptop processor?
Is it possible?
and what kind of compatibility issues might i end up with?
o and where could i buy an intel core 2 duo processor?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2007 - 12:21 AM

Where to start?

There are sooo many issues with upgrading the processor. First most laptops, especially DELL, you have to be careful what processor to get. IT HAS TO BE COMPATBLE WITH YOUR HARDWARE.

The BIOS (brain of the Computer) has to get along with the Processor (the work horse/engine) and the Spec number has to match that of system capabilities.
Further, if you upgrade this yourself, you run the risk of causing a static charge which could damage the whole machine to the point of not being able to use it.
If you install the wrong processor the machine could be TOAST. How's that for a compatability issue?

Although I highly recommend against this, you can buy the processor from newegg, compusa, cdw, and tigerdirect to name a few.

Again, this is only if you're willing to risk your current hardware.

#3 ICON

ICON
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2007 - 10:53 AM

from that i probably wont take the risk, mabe just ask dell and see how much it would be for them to upgrade it. thanks

#4 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2007 - 11:54 AM

Don't be discouraged by learning however. BTW, Dell would rather sell you a new Computer than upgrade the current one.

What was the purpose of upgrading?

#5 ICON

ICON
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2007 - 07:08 PM

just for a better cpu right now i have an Intel Core 2 Duo 1.5Ghz

#6 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2007 - 08:25 PM

most people today don't upgrade the processor just for the sake of upgrading except for gamers maybe.

Example, If I was running LDAP and wanted to publish applications to users on the network, and was also using FTP and Web Services I might upgrade the processor, although Upgrading RAM might be the better choice as this directly affects the number of apps you can run at any given time.

Core Two Duo's or very efficient and you don't want a processor that may eat up battery life. That would be a processor with a higher clock rate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users