Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Games And Vista

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ICON

ICON

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 06 September 2007 - 09:59 PM

I recently bought a couple games that refuse to work on vista.

Brothers In arms - wont even load the installer
Full Spectrum Warrior - Starts but i cant get into any games even on single player
Diablo 2 - used to play a lot on XP, but its got "compatibility issues" with stupid vista.

it really bothers me, i even tried Virtual PC 2007 and still doesn't work.

any advice or anyone else have these problems?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2007 - 11:18 PM

I recently bought a couple games that refuse to work on vista.

Brothers In arms - wont even load the installer
Full Spectrum Warrior - Starts but i cant get into any games even on single player
Diablo 2 - used to play a lot on XP, but its got "compatibility issues" with stupid vista.

it really bothers me, i even tried Virtual PC 2007 and still doesn't work.

any advice or anyone else have these problems?

Well, for starters DirectX10 eliminates most of the Core Functions of DX9 of which your games could make use of due to their embedded system calls for earlier versions on some programming API's, such as graphics, audio, and Direct3D. That last one may be incorrect. The option for installing the games is a MAJOR challenge depending upon the game. If you lack a DX10 compatable graphics card, give up now. I have yet to run any old games on a NON DX10 card in Vista, but I've heard it can be done in some cases. The issues lie in the fact that DX9 cards have difficulty understanding the New API's running in legacy MODE from DX10. An example of a DX10 Card would be the Geforce 8800 gts series which can be rather Expensive.

If you have a DX10 and you really want to try and make these games work, then post your system specs (meaning hardware) And I'll explain the process.
Otherwise, I wish you good luck.

Oh, and for further reading. google DX10 or check wikipedia.org
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectX_10#DirectX_10

#3 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 07 September 2007 - 03:17 AM

No, no, no. DirectX 10 has nothing to do with it. Vista has full DirectX 9 support. There is no need for a DirectX 10 card unless you want to play DirectX 10 games.

Start with installing the latest version of DirectX 9 from here.

Then it is time to learn about the compatibility tab. You find it by right-clicking on the game and selecting properties. There you find the compatibility tab. I got Diablo 2 to run by setting the compatibility mode to NT4. Try playing around in the compatibility tab on the others and see if you can get the to work by setting some compatibility mode, or by running as administrator.

Edited by Mr Alpha, 07 September 2007 - 03:48 AM.

"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#4 ICON

ICON
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2007 - 10:51 AM

ok thanks, and yes i do have a DX10 video card and my computer is capable of running all the games. For compatibility i've always just gone to XP SP2, but ill try other system modes and see if i can get some to work.

thanks for the advice.

#5 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2007 - 11:46 AM

Well for craps sake.

When I read about DX10 supporting legacy apps it was just after the RC1 candidate.

Mr Alpha thanks for the link was totally unaware of the redist working inside Vista.
My thoughts of DX10 relied on the facility of being self sustaining and backwards compatible.
You made life a whole easier for me now, b/c that means my old games will come to life
in all of their DX9 glory. Imma Try this out myself tonight with flight simulator '04 and Diablo.

ICON this is the best way to go when getting those games to work.

#6 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 07 September 2007 - 01:41 PM

Well, I wasn't completely honest. Vista doesn't support DirectSound3D, meaning there won't be any hardware accelerated sound unless the games uses some other sound API (like OpenAL). But I do not know of any game that requires hardware sound acceleration. Software sound will still work.

I still haven't run into a game I haven't been able to get to work on Vista, but I haven't tried many old games. That said there are a couple of games I got to work on Vista, that didn't work on XP.

EDIT: Also sometimes you have to set compatibility mode on the installers to get them to install properly.

Edited by Mr Alpha, 07 September 2007 - 01:42 PM.

"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#7 hebee

hebee

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 10 September 2007 - 10:06 PM

I have to say Vista is not so excellent OS as Mircrosoft said, so much pain it had brought to me, got faint..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users