Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking For A Few Good Apps.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MattV

MattV

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 06 September 2007 - 08:55 PM

I mentioned this in the "State of Linux" thread, but thought I might get more responses with a new thread.

I've just installed Ubuntu (Kubunt) Linux, and I'm looking for several different types of apps. I'd appreciate any advice on:

- Firewalls

- Anti spy/ad ware

- A Copernic-like search engine

- A programming language that doesn't require four years of college to learn. Preferably with a graphival IDE.

[size-1]Hint - been using VBasic for years[/size]

- A media player that can play .wmv files.

As you can see, I don't want much. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 07 September 2007 - 03:34 AM

My response to your post in the state of linux thread.
If someone tells you to su rm -rf /
DON'T DO IT!!!!
Be in the know, Bash smart!

#3 fleamailman

fleamailman

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 07 September 2007 - 06:06 AM

hi Mattv welcome again,
some interesting links
http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/index.php?page=virus

http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/3601946

Ok, I don't know quite where I stand here, I know that the good thing about linux is the problem malware makers face when dealing with 350 or more distros of linux, I mean imagine if I were to find an exploit in one of linux systems which are open to view, figure out an unobtusive payload on the open system and then put it into program, that is even getting pass the password and levels of security(run levels) what would happen if my target user just changes his or her distro or that any programmer who then notices the malware and reports the trick package, I just would not get far in my view and all the time and effort I spent would be wasted while just next door in windowsland I have one sitting duck of a hidden system, with 96% of the market with million of tied-in users who I know will keep to their system because the windows EULA obstructs them, all I would have to do is what you see on the malware removal forums knowing that I could either sell malware or protection depending on my morals and my ability.

now back to your requests, I am not at home now but if I remember rightly and I hate command lines stuff since I am for writing this for others too, its
- click kmenu button while connected to the internet
- choose add/remove programs
- give password when asked
(apapt installer window appears)
- click the two boxes of "unsupported" and "propriety software" which both mean non-open source stuff
(more goodies to choose from appear)
- in maltimidea choose: gstreamer(for codexes)
- in maltimidea choose: vlc player(for codexes)
- in maltimidea choose: XMMS(for mp3)

- in internet choose: java plug ins
- in internet choose: firefox(if you wish)

- choose any other package that you feel interests you
- choose battle for westnod(great game in my view)

(all the above without command lines)

hope this helps, thanks

I always feel that kubuntu is one of the best starter linuxes(I love it), but once one has got the knack of it, then there are many fun distro out there, for example try mint, pcos, puppy, etc.

Edited by fleamailman, 07 September 2007 - 08:11 AM.

everyday is a gift

#4 fleamailman

fleamailman

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 07 September 2007 - 11:02 AM

OK, I found something that works as Copernic, the poster likes it but I have never used it, I cannot vouch for it, thanks
http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=13004.0

Edited by fleamailman, 07 September 2007 - 11:06 AM.

everyday is a gift

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users