Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Are These Files In Xp?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 drunkle

drunkle

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 06 September 2007 - 06:14 PM

I was going through Windows Explorer, seeing the sights, when I came across these folders in these pathways:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\DESIGNER
C:\Program Files\Common Files\MSSoap\Binaries
C:\Program Files\Common Files\SureThing Shared
C:\Program Files\Common Files\TiVo Shared\DirectShow
C:\Program Files\ComPlus Applications
C:\WINDOWS\VirtualEar

Web searches provided very little info on these (at least a newb to computers could not fathom the jargon). Any ideas as to what they do and why they are here? Is the MSN folder, that is apparently empty, used for much? I have no conscious dealings with MSN. I do not plan to delete them as I know nothing about them; then again, I have no real emotional attachment to them either. Just curious. :thumbsup:

drunkle

Edited by drunkle, 06 September 2007 - 06:16 PM.

"Finished products are for decadent minds." --Asimov
"Cogito ergo sum." --René Descartes

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bicycle bill

bicycle bill

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 06 September 2007 - 07:00 PM

Well there is old trusty http://www.google.com

#3 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2007 - 07:11 AM

Well there is old trusty http://www.google.com

I believe drunkle already said he'd tried searching the web. I just tried myself to find a layman's description explaining what they are for, and was unsuccessful.

To drunkle,

The way I think of the common files is basically out of sight, out of mind. They are there for a reason that I can't express well, but it probably has something to do with different programs depending on some of the same files. So Windows and other programs put them in a place that is easy to find..."Common Files".

I do look at them occasionally because some program I've installed will put their own common files in that folder. Office sure added a bunch in the Microsoft Shared folder. The reason I do take a look now and then is because sometimes a program I have uninstalled will leave behind a folder in the Common Files. So I'll manually delete it. But only if I know absolutely for sure that the files belonged to something I no longer have on my computer.

I've got a folder there now that I'm not sure of. It's Light Scribe and inside it has a bunch of files that I can tell are from Hewlett Packard. I don't remember seeing it before though. So I'm pretty sure it was probably placed there by some burning programs I tried recently and then later removed. Sometimes I can figure out where files came from by looking at the properties, but this time I can't tell for sure. So I'm just leaving that folder alone to be on the safe side.

I can tell you that the SureThing, TiVo, and Virtual Ear files look like they belong to something you have installed at some time that didn't come with the original set of Common Files after installing Windows. But if you have a Dell, Compaq, any kind of OEM install of Windows that included extra software bundles, they could have gotten there that way too.

I hope this has helped a little bit.

#4 drunkle

drunkle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 07 September 2007 - 08:59 AM

I can tell you that the SureThing, TiVo, and Virtual Ear files look like they belong to something you have installed at some time that didn't come with the original set of Common Files after installing Windows. But if you have a Dell, Compaq, any kind of OEM install of Windows that included extra software bundles, they could have gotten there that way too.

Thanks mommabear. The problem is that I did not install those programs. I do have an HP, which could be considered (and often is) the same a Compaq. As far as I know I have the full version of my software(s). Well, I'll just continue to leave them alone. No blood, no foul right?! But if anyone else knows what they do, please drop us a line. I am sure that there are more people out there with inquiring minds...

drunkle
"Finished products are for decadent minds." --Asimov
"Cogito ergo sum." --René Descartes

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2007 - 12:17 PM

Remove unwanted programs on newly purchase OEM machines http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users