Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost My Lower Case B

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Altacocker

Altacocker

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 06 September 2007 - 04:11 PM

When I try to use the lower case B it does not work, only if I use shift and upper case. It must not Be the keyboard or the upper case would not work. Short of reinstalling windows how do I fix it?? In case you are wondering, the word keyBoard I typed with a capital B and the spell checker changed it. I do not have a clue as how to fix this. TIA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 06 September 2007 - 04:30 PM

If it's only the one key, I'd still suspect the keyboard, whether it works with shift or not. Is it possible to try another to make sure?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2007 - 04:51 PM

Try it in a small program, like notepad (with no other programs running):
Click Start, Run... and enter notepad in the textbox. Try typing b and some other letters as well.

Is this a laptop (with the keyboard built-in), or is it a PC with a removable keyboard?
If its a PC then have a look at the connector pins where the cable connects to the back of the PC. If a pin is visibly bent it could cause problems.

Another thing to look at is device manager, to see if there is some sort of hardware driver issue:
Click Start, Run... and type devmgmt.msc in the textbox. Is there anything noteworthy about the keyboard there?

One more thing is to try it in safe mode to see if there is some software conflict that is causing the problem.
Reboot the machine, tapping F8 intermittently. Use the arrow keys to select the Safe Mode option. You will receive an alertbox telling you that you are in safe mode. Click OK. Try typing in notepad again (see the instructions at the start of my post).

Let us know how it goes.

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

#4 Altacocker

Altacocker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2007 - 05:40 PM

It is a desktop
It works in safe mode so it is a conflict with some program. I am trying to think of something I have installed in the last couple of days But can't come up with it. I tried a different keyboard But it did the same thing. thanks for the help. I guess it is just a process of elimination from here.

#5 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2007 - 05:53 PM

You might try reinstalling or rollingback the driver.
[edit] one way to do it is to uninstall the keyboard in device manager, then reboot. XP should rediscover the keyboard and reinstall the driver for it.
btw I am assuming this keyboard is PS2 (old style circular connector), not USB.

Edited by jhsmurray, 06 September 2007 - 05:58 PM.

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

#6 Altacocker

Altacocker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2007 - 07:08 PM

PS2 is correct. Did the Device Manager thing and no change.

#7 Altacocker

Altacocker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2007 - 07:29 PM

I found the culprit. It was Miro a video player. I had downloaded an update and that was it. I uninstalled it and have my b back. Thanks for your time and effort. Without the safe mode tip I would never have found the solution.

#8 MattV

MattV

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 06 September 2007 - 07:45 PM

That was quite strange, eh?

Helpful hint for everyone. Before installing new software, create a restore point. It only takes a few seconds, and is insurance against weird kinds of things that may happen when you install new stuff.

I create restore points regularly, and they've saved me from myself more than once. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users