Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win32/virut Infection

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rictonge

rictonge

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 06 September 2007 - 02:41 PM

Our family computer is infected with the Win32/virut virus, and its causing some real problems.
Pretty much, nothing can be run in normal mode without becoming infected, and the majority of system files are infected so can't be used (task manager, regedit etc). Also the internet connection has been closed so nothing can connect.

I've been able to run some things in safe mode, Spybot, AVG Anti-Spyware, Avast to name a few, and none have been able to fix the problems, most likely because they themselves have been infected. I've tried Portable ClamWin from a CD, but this doesn't support healing of items, which is a concern as it could be a problem just deleting files with little means of replacing them.

There are some important files on here, so i would rather not reformat, and as its a pre-built machine the OS is an OEM, so the recovery files, stored in i386 are most likely infected too.

Any one able to help?

Specs are:
Windows XP MCE 2005
1.6Ghz Dual Core Processor
2 Gb RAM

thanks to all who help

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 06 September 2007 - 04:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sp0nge

Sp0nge

• Members
  • 643 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 06 September 2007 - 03:00 PM

Hello, may i suggest you post a hijackthis log into the appropriate forum?

To get HijackThis

Create a directory on your hardrive to save HijackThis.exe. A directory like c:\hijackthis. If you do not do this, you will not be able to use the backup/restore features.

Download HijackThis from:

HijackThis Download Site

Save this file into the directory you made previously and then run the program named hijackthis.exe. When the program opens click on the Config button, then click on the Misc Tools button, and click on the Check for update online button. When it completes checking/applying updates press the back button.

Now click on the Scan button and when it is finished click on the Save Log button. A Notepad window will open with the contents of this log. Click on Edit then click on Select all. Then click on Edit and then Click on Copy.

Now, create a new thread here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/

and paste the contents of the logfile HijackThis produced into your thread.

#3 rictonge

rictonge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 07 September 2007 - 01:46 PM

Well i was about to, when i figured how to boot the recovery partition.
It seems sorted now :thumbsup:
Thanks for your help

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 07 September 2007 - 02:18 PM

Glad to hear the problem is resolved.

To protect yourself against malware and reduce the potential for re-infection, read:
"Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe".
"How did I get infected?, With steps so it does not happen again!".
"The Ten Most Dangerous Things Users Do Online".
"Seven ways to keep your search history private".

Safe surfing and have a malware free day.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users